Organization: The Calgary Zoological Society
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Job or Internship: Job
The Calgary Zoo is a conservation leader whose mission is to take and inspire action to sustain wildlife and wild places. As a not-for-profit charitable institution, all revenue is reinvested back into conservation activities at the zoo and around the world.
As an organization, we value effective and collaborative communication and honesty and integrity with an emphasis on customer focus, safety and conservation. If you would like to be part of this team, we have the following permanent position available in our Animal Care Department
CURATOR – AFRICAN SAVANNAH & CANADIAN WILDS
Accountable to the General Curator, the Area Curator is responsible for the daily management of the animals, personnel, facilities and programs of the area. The successful candidate will be required to manage areas that may include primarily mammals, but also some birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates.
• Oversee animal handling events, including animal shipments.
• Assist in the planning and coordination of standard operating procedures.
• Assist in planning and implementation of special projects, minor renovations and improvements in the section.
• Ensures compliance with standard operating procedures and ensures the standard operating procedures are conducive to maintaining the highest possible standards of human health and safety and animal welfare in line with known best practice.
• Interview and train employees: plan, assign and direct work: appraise performance: manage employees; address complaints and resolve problems; ensuring compliance with union contract.
• Works with other departments to help develop, plan and implement educational programs, publicity, graphics and other support services for the section.
• Initiates necessary requests for maintenance and horticultural work within the section.
• Acts as a liaison with the veterinary team to coordinate animal treatments, exams and the preventative medicine program.
• Acts as zone manager in other areas when other managers are away.
• Works with Animal Management team to ensure animal exhibits and enclosures meet or exceed minimum AZA & CAZA accreditation standards.
• Reviews and updates animal management/husbandry protocols ensuring established husbandry standards are met.
• Ensures accurate, current records are kept on each animal and exhibit.
• Coordinates behind the scenes tours, after hour’s events and animal treatments.
• Manages budget in consultation with General Curator.
• Participates in collection planning and exhibit development.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of 7 years of animal management experience preferably in an accredited institution
• 5 years of experience in direct staff supervision. Experience managing a unionized workforce would be considered an asset.
• Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Zoology, Ecology or related field.
• Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees and park guests.
• Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Must have good observational skills.
• Some computer skills in MS office.
• Possess or able to acquire a Class 5 Alberta drivers license
• Involves outdoor work and heavy lifting.
• Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb. stairs and ladders, and carry up to 50lbs.
• Exposure to fauna and pungent odours.
• Must be able to work in inclement weather.
• Working on weekends and statutory holidays will be required.
What the zoo has to offer:
• Competitive compensation package.
• Annual performance bonus.
• Flexible benefits plan, including a health spending account.
• Employer matching RRSP program.
• Discounts on food, beverage and merchandise.
• A complimentary annual pass for you and your immediate family members.
• A fun work environment and the opportunity to work in a park full of wild animals!
If you are a highly motivated and experienced individual we invite you to send your resume, along with a covering letter, in confidence, no later than May 20, 2013. Please quote the position title in the subject line.
1300 Zoo Rd NE
NO PHONE ENQUIRIES PLEASE. Applicants are thanked in advance and advised that only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.