Organization: Virginia Zoo
Location: Norfolk, Virginia, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Virginia Zoo is currently recruiting for a General Curator who will lead our animal care staff and be a significant member of the zoo’s senior staff team. We are seeking an experienced professional with proven experience in all aspects of the operational management of zoo animal collections, and who has a passion for promoting excellence in animal care, education, conservation, research, guest experience and professional staff development. This position reports to the Assistant Director and responsibilities include:
1) Sets and enforces standards for all animal husbandry standard operating procedures and policies for animal collection.
2) Oversees behavioral husbandry programs for enrichment, training and applied behavioral analysis.
3) Directly manages staff, sets schedules, conduct performance evaluations, structures staff development and training programs.
4) Participate in zoo senior management meetings and act as a knowledge resource to other zoo departments as needed.
5) Participates in staff education and training for employees throughout the whole zoo.
6) Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations relating to animal care and treatment.
7) Oversees exhibit maintenance and safety, to ensure compliance with all current AZA standards.
8) Participates with institutional collection planning and coordinates with TAG regional collection planning.
9) Monitors the pest control program such as chemicals used and disposition of dangerous and injurious pests.
10) Coordinates and participates in the Dangerous Animal Response Team and other emergency response procedures.
11) Supports AZA conservation and research programs, serves as a professional resource to AZA animal programs community etc.
12) Participates in the design process for new exhibits and support areas; actively manages projects as assigned.
13) Administrative supervision of department budget and operations.
14) Expected to perform in a friendly and professional manner with Zoo staff and colleagues.
In addition to a strong background in the husbandry management of a wide diversity of species, the ideal candidate would also have good experience in staff development, mentoring and training; as the Virginia Zoo animal collection continues to grow in both size and diversity. Experience with AZA accreditation standards, regional collection planning, population management, zoo-based research, green management practices and conservation biology are all considered advantageous.
Minimum requirements for this position include a bachelor degree from an accredited university (graduate degree preferred); and 10 years of professional experience in accredited zoo collections. Candidates are preferred to have at least 5 years of staff supervisory experience. Full time research experience can qualify towards the professional work experience requirement.
Salary range for this position is $50,303.00 to $80,416.00 annually; with excellent benefits as an employee of the City of Norfolk. Please see the City of Norfolk Human Resources web site for more details and to apply. Applications will only be accepted via the City of Norfolk website. http://agency.governmentjobs.com/norfolk/default.cfm
Position will be open until filled.