Organization: Red River Zoo
Location: Fargo, ND, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Position: Junior Zookeeper Leadership Program Coordinator
The Red River Zoo is looking for a fun, creative and responsible Junior Zookeeper Leadership Program Coordinator with formal or informal teaching experience to lead our Junior Zookeeper Leadership Program. Coordinators will be working with youth aged 11-17 and will be providing children with meaningful and memorable summer learning opportunities by teaching a variety of hands-on activities.
The Junior Zookeeper Program allows children a wonderful opportunity to learn about a variety of animals at the Zoo, and to share their knowledge with the public. The Junior Zookeeper program has proven to be a great way for kids to learn responsibility, build leadership and time management skills, gain self confidence, and get some quality time with animals. Here are just some of the things a Junior Zookeeper will do: Responsibility for the Zoo's Domestic Contact Area (keeping the area clean for the animals and the public, grooming the animals and monitoring the animals' well being), Show & Tails (weekly story time includes Juniors reading a story to zoo visitors), docenting and Edu-Carts (juniors will be trained to handle and present education animals to the public), Zoo Garden (Juniors may design and plant the garden and tend to it during the summer), face painting and assisting with the zoo’s special events.
The Junior Zookeeper Program Coordinator will be responsible for preparing, implementing and supervising these programs for the Junior Zookeepers. You will be trained to handle a variety of mammals, reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates, and birds in a presentation setting. This is great way to gain teaching experience in a non-traditional setting! This is a full time seasonal position that will run the entire months of June, July and August. Training and preparation for this position will be held the last week of May.
Positions available: 1
Hours: Full-time position Monday though Friday. Shifts run approximately 8:30 am to 5:30 pm.
Duties include the following but are not limited to:
• Working with the Education Director and Junior Zookeeper part-time Coordinator to prepare and present the Junior Zookeeper program
• Deliver content in a fun and unique way that will engage youth with the natural world around them. Contribute to the zoo’s mission to connect children to nature.
• Develop new curriculum for current programs or future programs
• Daily directly supervision of children enrolled in the program
• Learn how to handle education animals
• Teach Juniors to give animal presentations
• Assist with special events
• Communicate effectively, professionally and consistently with parents of Juniors
• Accountable for accurate attendance sheets, accident reports, behavior reports, and timesheets
• Prior experience working with children in a formal or informal education setting
• Excellent classroom or group management skills; exceptional problem solving skills with the ability to adapt to changing environments.
• Be passionate and curious about the natural world
• Be outgoing with good communication and organizational skills
• Enjoy working with a variety of age groups and a variety of animals
• Comfortable speaking in front of an audience
• Trustworthy and punctual
• Must pass a background check
• Have completed at least 1 year of college at an accredited institution in education, environmental studies, biology or working towards degree. Previous teaching or interpretation experience in a zoo, nature center, or other informal setting is preferred.
• Basic computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
How to Apply
Please send the following information to:
Leila Goulet, Director of Education
Red River Zoo
4255 23rd Ave S
Fargo, ND 58104
• A cover letter and current resume
• Three references with at least two being professional references
• Two professional letters of recommendation
Deadline: Documents should be received no later than May 1st, 2013
For more information contact:
Leila Goulet, Director of Education
701-277-9240 ext 309