Organization: National Aviary
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Department: National Aviary Veterinary Hospital
Salary/Pay Range: Please include your salary requirements in your cover letter.
The National Aviary Hospital is searching for a Certified Veterinary Technician who has experience working with birds and a willingness to learn more avian medicine skills.
* Capable of handling a variety of species of birds for tests and treatments.
* Provide medical care for the hospital patients, including administering medications, fluids, and applying bandages.
* Test collections: setup, perform, and break down test procedures, including blood work, radiographs, cytology, & cultures. Process samples, maintain lab logs, and perform basic microscopy.
* Fill prescriptions according to established pharmacy standards.
* Assist in emergencies by triaging patients. Provide high quality ICU care.
* Perform daily patient assessments to monitor for a response to treatment.
* Administer vaccinations and other preventative medicine practices.
* Experienced with maintaining anesthetic and surgical equipment, including surgical packs, sterilization, surgery set-ups, and assisting as a scrub nurse.
* Provide care to newly acquired animals in quarantine. Familiar or experienced with health certificates and animal shipments.
* Maintain medical records according to policies, including treatment sheets, ICU sheets, weight logs, reproduction forms, diet, and husbandry forms.
* Maintain the medical inventory and central supply. Keep hospital areas clean, organized, and stocked.
* Report to supervisors daily with a Tech Report of what was done according to the schedule, new developments, and tasks to be re-scheduled.
* Must be a certified veterinary technician or have a minimum of 3 years of advanced technical experience.
* Must have experience handling birds and a strong knowledge of avian husbandry.
* Minimum of 1 year experience working in a zoo, wildlife center, or with exotic animals.
* Must be able to climb stairs and lift 30 pounds.
* Chosen applicants must also be able to pass the required PA Child Abuse History Clearance and the PA Criminal Record Check in order to have final acceptance as an employee.
Full benefits package offered to full-time employees.
Please forward your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The National Aviary inspires respect for nature through an appreciation of birds.