Organization: City of Abilene Zoological Gardens
Location: Abilene, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Abilene Zoo is searching for a highly motivated team player for the position of staff veterinarian. Under the general supervision of the Zoo Director, the veterinarian plans, organizes and manages a comprehensive overall animal health care program for 800 specimens including fishes, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals. In addition, the zoo also serves as a regional rehabilitation facility for birds that are evaluated and treated by the veterinarian.
Provide medical and surgical treatment to the Zoo animal collection as needed. Conduct post-mortem examinations on all deceased animals and interpret the findings. Implement the preventive medicine program to include: procedures for quarantine, parasite control, vaccination programs, tuberculin testing, dental prophylaxis, and periodic reviews of diets and husbandry techniques. Provide advice to animal department Curator, Supervisors, and Keepers concerning care, nutrition, breeding, and housing of Zoo animals.
Participate in Zoo Keeper Training program. Review and update animal diets on a regular basis. Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations relating to animal care and treatment. Review health related research requests from outside agencies. Prepare and ensure adherence to assigned budgets. Keep abreast of new developments, procedures, and policies in the zoo field by maintaining good lines of communications with other zoo veterinary professionals and by participating in American Association of Zoo Veterinarians continuing education seminars and events.
Ensure medical records are updated and maintained at a high level of accuracy and professionalism. Monitor the pest control program such as chemicals used and disposition of dangerous and injurious pests.
Monitor all zoonotic diseases and their impact on the collection and staff.
Educate and inform the staff as new information concerning zoonoses becomes available. Support AZA conservation and captive propagation research by collecting samples, gathering and submitting data, and serving as veterinary advisor to SSPs. Requires: DVM degree for an accredited institution. Licensed to pratice veterinary medicine in Texas or ability to obtain license within 6 months. Complete requirements at www.cityofabilene.jobs.
1. DVM degree from an accredited institution.
2. Licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the state of Texas or ability to get license within 6 months.
3. Texas Department of Public Safety and Federal Drug Enforcement Agency clearance to use Class 2 narcotics.
4. USDA accreditation to certify health for interstate and international transport in Texas.
5. Two years experience as a veterinarian with the majority of time spent administering to exotics.
6. Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate valid Texas driver’s license.
7. Ability to work weekends, holidays and occasional after-hour assignments.