Organization: Orlando Science Center
Location: Orlando, FL, us
Job or Internship: Job
Animal Husbandry Technician Lead at the Orlando Science Center. Full time benefited position. www.osc.org
. Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com Position Summary
Provide the daily care of all OSC animals, and the maintenance and repair of animal support systems within the Nature Works exhibition; present science programming to guests within the NatureWorks exhibit. Act as liaison between Nature Works staff and Manager. Supervise volunteers and manage their time and assignments. Experience with aquariums and closed aquatic systems and reptiles is required. Experience with amphibians and invertebrate species is beneficial. This position requires weekend and some evening work. Essential Job Functions:
1. Prepare and feed daily ration of frozen, fresh and dry commercial foods.
2. Maintain exhibit aesthetics to departmental standards through regular cleaning of habitats and windows, hydro-cleaning gravel, cleaning overflow screens and removing debris.
3. Present public programs to diverse groups.
4. Identify common diseases.
5. Administer treatments with the help of the Nature Works Manager.
6. Participate in departmental and special events both at the science center and off property.
7. Assist in renovating exhibits to incorporate new filters, pumps, lighting, etc., and to rebuild habitats when needed.
8. Communicate updates in an efficient and professional manner to the Manager of NatureWorks.
9. Train staff, volunteers and others as necessary as it relates to work and animals in assigned section.
10. Must represent the Orlando Science Center in a professional manner with all guests and staff. Qualifications and Education Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in natural sciences, ecology, natural resources management, education, or a related field or equivalent education plus experience.
The equivalent of two years experience in a zoo, aquarium, museum, park or a similar facility including performing, preparing or coordinating interpretive educational programming. Preferred Skills
Experience with exhibit fabrication, veterinary/medical care and snorkeling is preferred. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Work in (snorkeling) and around salt and fresh water. Required to lift weights of 50 pounds on occasion, climbing ladders and working in crowded public spaces necessary.