Organization: Museum of Discovery and ScienceSALARY RANGE:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, us
Job or Internship: Job
Full-time, hourly DIRECT ACCOUNTABILITY:
Life Science Manager QUALIFICATIONS:
A B.S. degree in animal science or related field is preferred; equivalent experience may be substituted. Two years experience in a zoo or aquarium is required. The qualified individual must have experience with daily care and maintenance of animal enclosures. Experience with otters, reptiles, small mammals and avian species preferred. Knowledge of operant conditioning and training is ideal. The qualified individual must be extremely proficient in animal handling and restraint. The applicant will also be responsible for learning basic aquarium operations and maintenance. Must be able to work in a variety of climates. Must be able to work in high places and lift at least 50 lbs. This position also includes weekend and holiday work. The qualified individual must be able to function as a team member as well as under limited supervision. Must have a valid drivers license.
SUMMARY: To work as a member of the Life Science Department under the direction of the Life Science Manager. Provide care for the Otters and all animals within the Ecoscapes exhibit. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsibilities include maintenance of exhibit animal enclosures, outreach animal enclosures, outdoor enclosure facilities and the entire otter habitat.
2. Maintains accurate records of designated systems and specimens within those systems.
3. Responsible for acquiring food, preparing animal diets, supplying fresh water and feeding animals on a daily basis.
4. Responsible for diving the otter pool to clean the pool and viewing window on a daily basis.
5. Responsible for daily creation and implementation of animal enrichment.
6. Administers medical needs to designated specimens as assigned by Life Science Manager.
7. Submits lists of new specimens or proposed acquisition of specimens for review and approval of the Life Science Manager or his/her designee.
8. Conduct daily maintenance of keeper space and office areas.
9. Responsible for the care and maintenance of the terrestrial area and plants in the otter exhibit.
10. Assists as required in related duties at the request of the Life Science Manager, the Vice President of Programs, Life Sciences & Exhibits and the President/CEO.
The website address is mods.org
to learn about the museum. The position is full-time hourly and the rate of pay is $10/hr. Eligible for benefits the first of the month after 90 days.
Interested candidates can email their cover letter and resume to jobs@mods
.net or fax to 954-467-0046. Be sure to identify the position you are applying for. Please no telephone calls.