Organization: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium
Location: Omaha, NE, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Summary: Under the direction of the Horticulture Supervisor, this position includes the complete cultural care of all Lied Jungle plant species plus assisting in all other areas of the Horticulture Department as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for complete cultural care, plant health, and quality control of the jungle plant material.
2. Will keep accurate and current records of species inventory, as well as problems, concerns, treatments and growth patterns.
3. Will ensure daily the jungle trail and canopy are clean and safe for all visitors.
4. Monitor and implement pest management program based on IPM.
5. Monitor environmental control systems; lights, temperature, irrigation systems, PH of soil & water, humidity and fertility levels.
6. Direct and coordinate volunteers, support staff and periodic students as necessary.
7. Direct and coordinate with the Jungle Canopy Horticulturalist.
8. Keep an ongoing special projects list and coordinate with the Horticulture Supervisor and all concerned parties on special projects beyond routine maintenance.
9. Liaison with the Jungle Keepers in small animal and island exhibits.
10. Monitor & liaison with all other tropical foliage exhibits and collections through out the zoo.
11. Support enrichment by providing clean browse from the jungle to the program.
12. Give periodic special tours and talks as requested.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
1. Experience in caring for tropical foliage in a greenhouse or commercial interior scape.
2. Knowledge of water & irrigation systems.
3. Identification of tropical plant species.
4. Pest & disease identification and treatment methods.
5. Knowledge of environmental control systems.
6. Basic record keeping knowledge.
7. Computer skills a plus.
8. Horticulture degree required.
9. Current Nebraska state pesticide license.
Working Conditions & Physical efforts:
1. Occasional flexible hours to accommodate treatment needs around visitor hours.
2. Physical effort required including ability to lift 50 lbs.
3. Some exposure to physical risk.
4. A valid driver’s license is required.
5. Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
Please apply at www.omahazoo.com