Organization: Lincoln Park Zoo
Location: Chicago, IL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
This person contributes to the success of the Lincoln Park Zoological Society by performing routine and standard duties and functions in order to meet the cleanliness, beauty and aesthetic requirements of the park and provide an exceptional guest experience. This person will be expected to complete tasks as assigned by Management while also being responsible for the following tasks:
• Cleans and services restrooms
• Sweeps, vacuums, and mops floors and stairways
• Gathers and disposes of rubbish and waste materials by hand or with the use of powered equipment
• Makes rounds of buildings including inspecting doors, windows, and locks to see that they are properly and securely fastened
• Observes appearances and conditions of premises and equipment; reports needed repairs, safety hazards, or conditions requiring outside vendor services
• Dusts such items as blinds, furniture, file cabinets, and windowsills using treated dust mittens, cloths, or hand-cleaning items
• Scrubs, strips, sanitizes, waxes, and buffs floors using powered machines equipped with rotating brushes
• Polishes furniture, metal work, and chrome using appropriate cleaning and polishing compounds
• Maintains an inventory of cleaning and toiletry supplies
• Washes walls, ceilings, woodwork, windows, mirrors, and fixtures using both step and extension ladders
• Cleans grounds and parking lots of litter, glass, or other debris
• Loads and unloads supplies, and moves heavy furniture and equipment using dollies, handcarts, or power equipment
• Shampoos carpets
• Replaces toilet paper and paper towels and soap
• Perform basic maintenance on toilet paper dispensers, paper towel dispensers, and soap dispensers
• Performs related work as assigned
• Perform specific specialty cleaning projects
• Empty trash and recycling throughout buildings and zoo grounds and dispose of into proper containers as well as transporting, loading and unloading dumpsters at the compactor
• Assists with snow and leaf removal from public pathways using shovels, rakes as well as power equipment as needed.
• Serves as liaison to other zoo departments; promotes good public relations; and performs other duties as assigned
• May be called on to perform duties of subordinates or co-workers, as required to facilitate Facilities operations during vacations, sick leave, and other absences.
• Learn to safely operate golf carts
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Comprehensive knowledge of the zoo’s mission and philosophy
• Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to get along with diverse groups. Tactful, mature.
• Ability to represent the Society in a professional manner at all times
• Ability to exercise sound judgment in emergency situations and to respond with appropriate action
• Ability to interact courteously and respectfully with supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, zoo visitors and general public
• Ability to work cooperatively and timely in a team situation
• Ability to work on ladders and scaffolding
• Ability to sweep, rake and generally clean flat roofs throughout the zoo
• Ability to replace soap dispensers, toilet paper holders, and batteries in any devices
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS: EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
• A high school diploma comparable combination of education, experience, or training that would provide the level of knowledge, skills, and ability required may qualify individuals.
• Experience completing similar tasks at another institution of similar size and reputation
• Ability to traverse zoo grounds to respond to emergencies
• Must be physically able to exert up to 50 lbs. of force on a regular basis to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, and crouch.
• The employee will be exposed frequently to outside, potentially adverse, weather conditions.
• The employee will be regularly exposed to water, solvents, and potentially loud noises.
• Ability to safely and efficiently operate all specialized equipment used to move and lift supplies hand trucks, electric cart
• Ability to exercise safe work habits in proximity of potentially dangerous animals and equipment including risk exposure to fairly predictable and controllable hazards associated with wild animals and zoonotic diseases
• Available to work special events that may occur outside of regular work schedule, including evenings, weekends or holidays, as assigned
• A valid Illinois driver’s license and maintenance of a good driving record is required
• Non-infectious TB status
Please visit LPZoo.org to download and complete an application. Please send application, cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Lincoln Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls, please.