Organization: California Academy of Sciences
Location: San Francisco, California, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
California Academy of Sciences: Dive Operations Program Internship
The California Academy of Sciences has an opening for a Dive Operations Program Internship. The Position description is posted below. If you are interested please contact Assistant Dive Safety Officer William Love for an application at WLOVE@CALACADEMY.ORG.
The California Academy of Sciences Dive Operation Internship is a educational opportunity and support position with a minimum term of 3 months and a maximum term of six months. Responsibilities will include supporting Dive Operations through the formulation and enforcement of dive program policies, maintenance of equipment, in-water dive activities and diver training support. Additionally the intern may assist the Husbandry staff in collecting and/or caring for the animal collection
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Follow all Academy safety regulations
· Learn about and assist dive operations personnel with daily activities
· Learn about and assist with administrative work, filing/expirations/updates
· Learn about and assist with gear maintenance
· Learn about and assist with diver training
· Learn about and assist with database maintenance
· Learn about and operate compress gas fill station
· Learn how to tend dives and give safety briefings
· Dive in exhibits as necessary for light maintenance/husbandry/dive shows
· Learn how to complete monthly safety checks
· Maintain high level of cleanliness in dive locker and locker rooms
· Assist with field diving operations
· Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
· Must be Open Water, Advanced, and Rescue certified from a nationally recognized SCUBA agency (or equivalent).
· Preferred active status Scientific Diver Certification
· Current First Aid/Oxygen Admin/AED/CPR certification
· Current AAUS/CAS Dive Physical
· Prefer a minimum of 50 dives in cold water environment.
· Good interpersonal communication is essential
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
· High school diploma
· Experience working with marine animals and/or in a marine environment
· Experience/working knowledge of computer databases and operations
· Team oriented
· Experience with excellent oral and written communication
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, and reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 25 % of the time.
· Divers must be able to drop off and pick up dive gear
· Divers must be able to get to and from the exhibits
· All divers must be able to setup or supervise setup of their SCUBA gear.
· Divers must be able to maintain neutral buoyancy
· Must be able to lift 40 lb. (unassisted). Bending, repetitive scrubbing motions, stooping, lifting, reaching, climbing and swimming are required
· Must be able to work in an approximate 50 degree temperature seawater environment for up to two hours
· All divers must be able to fulfill the job duties specified under the “job summary” above
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.
The California Academy of Sciences is a non-smoking facility. There is also no smoking in Golden Gate Park.