Organization: National Aviary
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, Country
Job or Internship: Internship
Job Title: Flitezone Bird Show and Conservation Education Intern
Salary/Pay Range: All internships are unpaid. Housing is not provided.
Interns will work under the direct supervision of the National Aviary show trainers to produce multiple free-flight bird shows. This internship focuses on the training of a collection of approximately 70 birds. The show staff is responsible for the daily care of all birds in the show collection including hornbills, parrots, birds of prey and other mixed species. The show staff is also responsible for the training of all birds featured in the show as well as birds used for educational classes and guest experiences.
An internship with the show staff will provide the opportunity to learn about the following:
• Care and maintenance of all birds in the show’s collection
• Daily diet preparation for parrots and birds of prey
• Observation of various bird behaviors
• Operant conditioning techniques for training show and husbandry behaviors
• Production of a free-flight bird show
• Participation in an enrichment program
• Public speaking skills
• Conservation education
• Participate in in-house and outreach education programs
• Participation in formal intern workshops
Daily intern responsibilities include: cleaning bird enclosures, diet preparation and providing enrichment to all birds in the show’s collection. Interns are also responsible for assisting with the maintenance of bird enclosures including perching, repairs and preventative maintenance. There may also be various building projects.
Interns will have the opportunity to observe and possibly assist with daily training sessions. They will also assist backstage during shows that will run five times per day. Interns will also have the opportunity to assist with daily guest experiences and to attend formal workshops on topics such as bird training, and captive raptor management.
Additionally, interns will assist with classes and outreach programs. They may also help with educational camps and special aviary events.
Education and Experience:
The show staff and interns work in a very high-paced environment. Due to the nature of the work, applicants must meet the following requirements:
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds
• Must be able to prepare diets that include mice and chick
• Must be able to work as a member of a team and independently
• Must be a self-starter with a positive attitude
• Must be able to positively interact with the public
• Speak fluent English and be a US citizen
• Should be considering a career in the animal care or animal training field
This position is for the summer semester.
If this is an opportunity that interests you, please forward your resume and cover letter to Ashley Connelly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application no later than April 5th, 2013. The start date for this internship is Wednesday May 15th, 2013 and the end date will be Sunday August 18th, 2013.
Please submit resume and cover letter to:
Allegheny Commons West
700 Arch Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212