Organization: Houston Zoo, Inc.
Location: Houston, Tx, Country
Job or Internship: Internship
The Houston Zoo is offering an unpaid Houston Toad Research Internship in the Department of Conservation and Science! This is an opportunity to work with one of the most endangered amphibians in the United States. Intern will work with staff to design and implement an applied ex situ research project that is suitable for publication in peer-reviewed conservation/herpetology journal.
During this internship, interns will gain experience with experimental design and statistics to test a hypothesis relating to the some aspect of the biology of the Houston Toad. Interns will also gain introductory experience with a broad range of the components of ex situ conservation including record keeping, biosecurity, water quality, nutritional management, disease monitoring and pre-release screening.
• Interns are required to complete a minimum of 200 hour commitment.
• Attend Continuing Education courses provided by the Houston Zoo.
• Compose an educational presentation at the end of internship.
• Design and implement an applied ex situ research project that can be completed within 12 weeks.
• Work with other interns and keepers to gain introductory experience with overall ex situ conservation program.
• The successful candidate might also be given the opportunity to participate in toad releases as well as field surveys, both of which can extend well beyond the normal work day.
• Candidates must currently be enrolled in a college institution or a recent graduate (within 6 months of application).
• Coursework in biology or zoology related field is preferred.
• Applicants must be able to work any day of the week, including holidays and weekends.
• The internship involves some moderate physical exertion, such as the use of ladders, lifting equipment, etc. on a frequent basis and assuming awkward positions. This working area gets exposed to considerable heat and moisture.
• We are currently accepting applications until March 31, 2013. Internships will begin on May 12th and run to August 25th (end date is flexible.)
• To submit an application, please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/volunteering/. Applicant must also submit a resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation.
For further information and inquiries, please contact Nhi Tran at 713-533-6558 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.