Organization: Houston Zoo, Inc.
Location: Houston, Tx, Country
Job or Internship: Internship
The Houston Zoo is offering opportunities to participate in unpaid internships in the Children’s Zoo! This is a unique and exciting opportunity for students to work alongside keepers, develop important professional relationships and gain valuable experience! The Children’s Zoo has a large and diverse collection of birds, mammals, reptiles, invertebrates, amphibians and fish!
Swap Shop Intern will assume the role of assistant naturalist. Assist Children’s Zoo keepers with teaching children about their natural environment. Most teaching is done through items the children bring in. Therefore, it is preferred that candidate have a broad knowledge of rocks, fossils, plants, bones and shells (or willing to research the information in our many books) and the ability to interpret their natural history in a fun and enlightening way. Intern will also assist Children’s Zoo staff with organization, cleaning, and other duties at Swap Shop.
• Interns are required to complete a minimum of 200 hour commitment.
• Attend Continuing Education courses provided by the Houston Zoo.
• Compose an educational presentation at the end of internship.
• Candidates must currently be enrolled in a college institution or a recent graduate (within 6 months of application).
• Qualified Interns for this position with previous experience in volunteering or working in an animal related field is a plus.
• This position requires interns to work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust.
• This position involves considerable physical exertion such as repetitive bending,
pushing/pulling/carrying heavy loads and regular lifting of heavy objects (up to 80 pounds).
• We are currently accepting applications until March 31, 2013. Internships will begin on May 12th and run to August 25th (end date is flexible.)
• To submit an application, please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/volunteering/. Applicant must also submit a resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation.
For further information and inquiries, please contact Nhi Tran at 713-533-6558 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.