Organization: Chimp Haven
Location: Keithville, LA, us
Job or Internship: Job
Position Opened: 3/1/13 Closed: When filled
Title Class: Veterinary Technician I
Descriptive Title: Veterinary Technician I, Veterinary Technician
Shift: Normally days, including weekends. Night work may be required.
Risk Level: 3
Provide medical care for chimpanzees. Most duties performed under general supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist veterinarian with physical exams, treatments and procedures, including the collection of samples for testing.
- May assist during surgery.
- Autoclave surgical instruments.
- Maintain cleanliness of vet clinics
- Observe chimpanzees for detection of symptoms associated with disease.
- Dispense medication to chimpanzees under direction of veterinarian.
- Order and stock veterinary supplies.
- Record observations and may maintain chimpanzee medical records.
- Maintain medical equipment.
- May sedate and recover chimpanzees.
- Coordinate laboratory tests.
- Work with behavioral staff to train chimpanzees to cooperate during medical procedures.
- Assist behavioral or husbandry staff as required, including participation in colony management decisions.
- Perform related duties as required.
Supervision and Responsibility
- Works under general supervision.
- Does not supervise anyone.
- Performs tasks as assigned.
- Relies on pre-established guidelines.
Education and Experience Required
- Associates degree or Veterinary Technical degree required
- Four years veterinary technician experience required.
- One year experience working with nonhuman primates required.
- A bachelor’s degree in related area and two years experience as a veterinary technician can be substituted for the above education/experience requirement.
- Skills in voluntary injections and darting and experience with general anesthesia and sedations preferred.
Other requirements and working conditions
- Flexibility and a positive attitude a must.
- Experience with Excel beneficial.
- This work will require bending, carrying, kneeling, lifting, listening, pulling, pushing, reading, speaking, squatting, standing, stooping, stretching, walking, watching and writing.
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry 50 lbs for short distances. Must be able to assist in lifting chimpanzees (up to 75 lbs.).
- Duties may require driving Chimp Haven vehicles, and must have a valid driver’s license and meet Chimp Haven’s motor vehicle operating standards.
- Work may involve considerable outdoor work in various weather conditions.
- Potential exists for animal bites and scratches.
- Potential exposure to unpleasant odors, animal wastes, animal tissues and body fluids, toxic chemicals, zoonotic diseases (tuberculosis, shigella etc.), infectious agents (Hepatitis B,C, HIV, etc.).
- Weekend, holiday and night work may be necessary.
- Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program that includes hepatitis B and other inoculations is required.
- Safety training, equipment, clothing and supplies will be provided.
Send cover letter, salary requirement and resume to: email@example.com or fax resume to Human Resources Department @ 318-925-5600. Chimp Haven is an Equal Opportunity Employer.