Organization: Virginia Zoo
Location: Norfolk, Virginia, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Virginia Zoo is seeking an experienced Horticulture Technician. This position performs activities related to the beautification, health and aesthetics of ornamental landscape planting; as well as meeting the zoo’s goals towards green management practices and good environmental stewardship of our grounds. Horticultural technicians manage and perform all work in the green houses and grounds surrounding the area. Responsible for landscape design and construction, irrigation design and maintenance and greenhouse collections
• Responsible for all plant growing in one of the zoos exhibit zone areas.
• Responsible for care of plants around animal exhibits interior landscapes and in the green house.
• Cuts fresh browse for the animal collection as required..
• Daily duties include seeding and fertilizing large exhibit yards, irrigation, repairs, pruning, mulching, cutting back grasses, weeding, spraying and watering plants.
• Other responsibilities include completing monthly building reports, filling out weekly report sheets, communicating with zoo visitors, watering plants in other sections on the weekends.
• Additional duties as assigned.
Position requirements for horticultural technicians include a minimum of 2 years professional work experience and a two year associate's degree, diploma or equivalent from an accredited college; completion of a bachelor degree is preferred. Applicants must also have a valid driver’s license and be eligible to get a Virginia pesticide applicator license within 6 months of hire.
This is a non-exempt position with a salary range of $24,199.00 - $38,684.00 annually ($11.63 - $18.60 per hour) with excellent benefits as an employee of the City of Norfolk. Please see the City of Norfolk Human Resources web site for more details and to apply. Applications will only be accepted via the City of Norfolk website. http://agency.governmentjobs.com/norfolk/default.cfm