Organization: Ripley's Aquarium
Location: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Ripley Entertainment Inc.
Director of Operations
Department/Division/Section: Operations – Director of Maintenance and Engineering (Operations)
Job Summary/Essential Functions: The Director of Operations is responsible for the overall maintenance of the AZA accredited Ripley’s Aquarium building, offsite warehouses, and the offsite Marine Science Building. Manages personnel within the following areas; maintenance, housekeeping, life support, and security/first aid. This position reports directly to the Assistant General Manager and General Manager of Ripley’s Aquarium.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following tasks:
• Operation and Maintenance of all animal life support systems to include but not limited to ozone generators, high rate sand filters, backwash water containment system, water pumps and motors, ozone-fractionators, activated carbon water filtration system, air blowers, water filtration computer controls and monitoring systems, battery backup monitors, building heating and cooling systems, and emergency power generators.
• Operation and maintenance of elevator, power walk exhibit ride, building security system, audio/video show components, exterior water walls and fountains, and, general exhibitry.
• Conduct safety training for all departments in building evacuation, also, specialized training for those departments that require lockout/tag out, lift operation, forklift, cranes/hoists, MSDS and personal protective equipment.
• Maintains safety records, training manuals and MSDS information.
• Build and manage an efficient team for the areas under your direction to include Life support, building maintenance, housekeeping and security/first aid. Foster staff development through training/workshops at professional organizations.
• Maintain the high level of standard of Ripley Entertainment/ Ripley’s Aquarium with the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
• Act as project manager for all projects and any additional duties as assigned by the Assistant General Manager / General Manager.
• Create and monitor accurate departmental and project budgets.
• Maintain inventory and maintenance records for all Operations supplies & equipment
• Maintain Aquarium vehicle fleet to include van, pickup truck, passenger bus, and two passenger vehicles.
• Maintain work areas in a neat and orderly fashion.
• 5-10 years experience in the operation of aquatic life support systems at an AZA accredited Aquarium or Zoo.
• Degree/certificate in one of the following fields; mechanical, electrical and HVAC systems.
• Strong supervisory skills.
• Articulate, organized and well-spoken.
Language: Fluent in English