- Work to a level that is equal to or surpasses the guidelines set in the company minimum standards document for displays.
- Communicate and liaise with the Senior Curator (US) and the Displays Development Department, veterinarian(s) and Biological Services, as directed, in regards to animal health matters.
- Communicate and liaise with the Senior Curator (US) and the Displays Development Department and Biological Services, as directed, in regards to all animal acquisitions and transfers between sites.
- Communicate and liaise with the Senior Curator (US) and the Displays Development Department and Biological Services, as directed, in regards to life support system issues.
- Ensure effective planning and implementation of routine maintenance of displays and life support systems in accordance with company and manufacturers guidelines.
- Maintain strict codes of practice for the administration and storage of all medical treatments.
- Ensure that accurate and up to date displays records are complete for all displays and livestock, including deliveries, collections, mortalities, feeding and associated matters.
- Carry out the routine maintenance of the life support and emergency systems relating to site base and other specified displays and the maintenance of all life support related alarm systems (where applicable).
- Ensure and maintain continually high levels of cleanliness of all the displays, quarantine and food preparation areas, plus associated plant and workshops.
- Assist with the maintenance and planned development of displays lighting, signage and interactive displays.
- Deliver innovation creatures, concepts and systems though trials, research and working with the displays team to generate ideas.
- Ensure adequate emergency and extreme weather protocols are in place, with regular drills.
- Ensure that the statutory regulations both state and federal, e.g., OSHA are maintained for displays and display areas (front and back of house).
- Adhere to all state and federal standards for the State’s Zoo Licence and/or equivalent regulations (i.e. AZA) and ensure that the aquarium maintains such standards.
- Ensure that all licenses / regulations associated with livestock acquisition (i.e. State Game and Fish Dept., USFW), holding, display and transportation, are met and adhered to.
- Ensure displays budgets are operated within monthly and yearly constraints.
- Assist the General Manager in the generation of the annual Displays budgets and annual capital expenditure requests while keeping operations within these budgets once granted.
- Assist the General Manager and the Displays Development Department in the generation and implementation of a three year and five year site plan.
- Play a key role in any Displays related capital works from concept creation through to completion and continual operation, as directed by the General Manager, the Senior Curator (US) and the Displays Development Department.
- Carry out and/or oversee any specific research and development projects to improve animal husbandry and the onsite displays as directed by the General Manager and in conjunction with the Displays Development Department/Biological Services/Senior Curator (US).
- Provide leadership and knowledge to direct and grow the displays and the displays team.
- Work with the displays staff and site team to ensure the smooth operation of all exhibit areas and behind the scenes areas.
- Motivate and train the displays staff on the local site, through liaison with relevant departments.
- Ensure high levels of communication between the displays, site management and biological services.
- Organize and monitor display staff schedules, ensuring that they are within budgetary constraints while at the same time ensuring there is adequate cover of the aquarium at all times.
- Ensure that the entire Displays team adheres to all customer care initiatives as specified by the company.
As directed by the General Manager additional responsibilities may be given that relate to the local site or company operation. Such responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Work outside normal scheduled hours (i.e. weekends, holidays, special events, after hour animal emergencies).
- Travel to and temporary work at other sites.
Weighted Job Function
- Managerial and administrative functions, safety and supervision of Displays Team – 70%
- Care, maintenance, and health of animal collection, display quality and appearance, care and maintenance of company owned property and equipment – 30%