Organization: Chicago Zoological Society-Brookfield Zoo
Location: Brookfield, IL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Chicago Zoological Society is a leading conservation organization and has an exciting, fast-paced work environment and a family friendly atmosphere. We are very customer focused, as we host over 2 million guests to Brookfield Zoo each year. We are committed to conservation in the broadest sense, and we take PRIDE in every aspect of our operation. Our employees enjoy a unique work environment in a beautiful park-like setting that is based on respect, openness, cooperation, and involvement. At Brookfield Zoo, we work hard and we play hard! Employees are proud to work for the Chicago Zoological Society and are committed to our important conservation mission. Our dedicated staff has a true sense of purpose and a strong commitment to animals and conservation.
The HR Generalist contributes to the success of CZS by providing a full range of professional-level and administrative HR support for the Manager, Compensation & Benefits and Director of Human Resources in support of effective HR operations and HR initiatives designed to increase employee engagement, shape a workforce of excellence, and become an Institution of Choice. As an HR Generalist serving as an HR business partner, responsibilities are not limited to but will include:
• Providing guidance and consultation to managers regarding employment issues, policies and procedures. Serving as an advocate for employees by communicating their concerns and working with the HR management team towards resolution.
• Assisting with compensation related tasks such as compensation surveys, wage and salary budget, etc.
• Assisting with benefit related tasks such as open enrollment, monthly invoices, HIPAA/GINA, ADA compliance.
• Preparing for and conducting new hire and benefit orientations for full-time and regular, part-time staff.
• Preparing for and conducts exit interviews for all voluntary terminations; preparing all paperwork and activities necessary to process out separating employees.
• Developing Standard Operating Procedures; preparing correspondence, reports or other variety of special projects, communications and tasks.
• Planning, coordinating and managing all logistics associated with scheduled employee special events and serve as primary coordinator for events.
• Managing the Employee Recognition Program and chairing the Employee Recognition Team.
The requirements for this position include:
• Bachelors Degree in Human Resources, Business or other relevant field or equivalent combination of college coursework and experience required. PHR or other HR certification desirable.
• Minimum five years directly related HR experience in a professional or para-professional HR role, including significant para-professional/administrative support. Minimum three years relevant experience in handling and resolving difficult employee relations issues required. Experience with benefits and/or compensation highly preferred.
• Accurate typing of 45-50 words per minute and accurate data entry skills required.
• Excellent organizational and proofreading skills required. Eye for detail and accuracy critical.
• Effective problem-solving abilities; sound, logical decision-making skills required.
• Strong interpersonal skills and business savvy required. Must communicate with sensitivity and have a strong customer service orientation. Strong verbal communication skills and listening skills required.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and manage a consistently heavy workload; requires a highly flexible individual who is able to adapt quickly to change, meet critical deadlines and work under pressure.
• Strong follow-up and follow through abilities required with strong figure aptitude and analytical skills essential.
• Able to maintain strict confidentiality of highly privileged information.
• Intermediate to expert-level computer proficiency with Windows, Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and database systems required. Minimum 3 plus years of solid experience with HRIS system(s) and reporting. Ability to use advanced MS Word features such as Forms, Mail Merge, formulas, charts, etc. required.
• Good writing/composition skills. Ability to prepare correspondence that is accurate, grammatically correct and in proper business format.
• Professional appearance and demeanor required.
• Valid driver’s license required for Illinois residents within 90 days of hire; valid out-of-state license required for out-of-state residents.
• Experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a diverse, multicultural workforce. Multilingual ability, Spanish fluency a plus.
• This is a salaried position; work weeks in excess of 40+ hours are not unusual.
The Chicago Zoological Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer - M/F/V/D.
If interested in being considered for this opportunity, please visit the CZS Career Center to obtain more details about the position and to apply by submitting your profile. Please visit our website at www.czs.org/czs/careers. Please look for requisition #1050.