Organization: SeaWorld San Antonio
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Primary Purpose: A technically specialized position serving as a knowledgeable resource for other aviculturists in the fields of avian husbandry, exhibit set-up and maintenance, avian training, avian reproduction, care of salvage birds, animal health, and animal and team member safety. All of the above while continuing to maintain the SWSA bird collection and exhibits.
· High School Diploma or equivalent. Bachelor of Science in one of the Biological Sciences preferred.
· A minimum of 1 1/2 years as an Aviculturist level I at SW Parks and Entertainment with excellent performance or 2 years prior experience in Zoological facility; specifically working with birds in a professional capacity.
· Bird training experience.
· Must have basic computer skills; proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
· Thorough knowledge of all shifts and responsibilities in both areas concerning avian diets, husbandry and health
· Meets CPR, swimming and water rescue requirements to maintain SWSA certification.
· Must have basic math skills.
· Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language. Experience with public /media presentation skills a plus
· Must have a valid state driver’s license and be able to obtain a SEA driver’s license
· Able to lift and carry 50 lbs. repeatedly
· Must be willing to comply with all SEA grooming guidelines and employment standards.
· Must be able to work a flexible schedule to include weekday, weekends, evening, and holidays
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for training staff in all aspects of avian diet, propagation, health and husbandry, training and delegates appropriate tasks in animal areas.
· Provides constructive feedback to junior employees on their progress regarding all aspects of avian husbandry and health.
· Assists Supervisors with monitoring all aspects of avian propagation including target species in AZA or Government breeding programs.
· Assists Supervisors with upkeep of animal records.
· Responsible for proper capture, restraint and movement of birds within and out of the park.
· Responsible for observations and communication of bird health, as well as giving and monitoring prescribed treatments.
· Responsible for exhibit upkeep and enhancement.
· Trouble shoots and corrects problems involving the mechanics of the exhibits at Polar and Birdhouse to ensure bird and staff safety.
· Represents the bird department in public relations/marketing related activities, education programs, and zoological meetings/trips in a professional manner.
· Ensures proper diet preparation and feeding for all avian species within the collection.
· Acts as a role model and teacher to all junior staff at all times.
· Promotes team work and cooperation within the department.
· Able to work all assigned shifts within the department as needed.
· Continually assists Supervisors with the implementation of new EED's to all species within the collection.
· Assists management with specifically assigned duties and projects as needed.
· Consistently practices safe work habits including, but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment, lifting and reporting of unsafe situations.
Posting Closing Date: Tuesday, February 20, 2013