Organization: Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Job or Internship: Job
CLEVELAND METROPARKS ZOO
The Animal Keeper is responsible for the daily care of the animal collection. They will need to perform various jobs related to the care and cleaning of animals including the set-up of habitats. There is also an expectation to be involved in zoo education and research programs. The person accepting this position will work as an Animal Keeper in the African Elephant Crossing area of the Zoo and will work with reptiles, birds and mammals (including elephants). The person accepting this position will be expected to work effectively in a team environment, adhere to all guidelines, and support the zoo’s philosophy regarding elephant management.
• Provides food, water, medications, and supplements as indicated by schedules, prescriptions, or diet boards. Load and unload animal feeds and animal care supplies.
• Completes and reviews daily activity reports, diet consumption reports, behavior and/or training records, enrichment records, or any other written documentation on assigned animals.
• Cleans, maintains, and disinfects animal enclosures and service areas.
• Observes individual animals daily and reports animal behavior, appearance, fecal conditions, and unique characteristics.
• Performs proper training or restraint techniques for crating, transferring, or veterinary procedures.
• Monitors, reports, and performs pest control in assigned areas.
• Prepares and continually enhances animal areas for aesthetic, reproductive, behavior, and animal safety (i.e. perching material, sand management, interactive opportunities).
• Provides continual environmental enrichment by approved methods.
• Trains assigned animals for husbandry and enrichment.
• Responds to hazardous or potentially unsafe situations by taking appropriate corrective action
• Participates in ex situ and/or in situ conservation initiatives
• Supports, accommodates, and/or participates in on-ground research initiatives
• Possesses knowledge of research and conservation initiatives in nature and in zoos.
• Communicates regularly with peers and managers concerning matters of animal care, welfare, safety, and work schedules.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with co-workers
• Demonstrates initiative, dependability, teamwork, resourcefulness, good judgment, a positive attitude, and common sense.
• Voices concerns constructively.
• Participates in assigned task forces.
• Bachelor’s degree in animal sciences or related field preferred.
• Two years experience with captive exotic animals (six months with a Bachelor’s degree).
• Demonstrated ability to work in hot or cold weather, dusty, wet, and odorous conditions. Must be able to maneuver 75 pounds.
• Possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License or ability to obtain one.
• Must be a non-smoker/tobacco user•
WAGE: Union Scale
DATE POSTED: 02/15/2013 HOURS: 40 hrs/wk (4-10 hour days)
FILING DEADLINE: 03/01/2013
CURRENT DAYS OFF: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
TO APPLY: Your cover letter must clearly explain how your skills and experience align
with the above job qualifications.
E-mail résumé referencing job #13010 to: