Organization: Miami Seaquarium
Location: Key Biscayne (Miami), FL, us
Job or Internship: Job
Miami Seaquarium is currently seeking motivated, outgoing, and personable team players with a “can do” attitude to fulfill the role of Apprentice Aquarist/Sea Trek Presenter. Individuals who have recently graduated, or have completed an aquarium internship at a major public aquarium facility are encouraged to apply. Individuals may also apply who possess demonstrated experience in a similar aquatics field with verifiable and reliable references.
Responsibilities for these positions include:
* Participate in all daily aspects of the park’s new Sea Trek interactive reef experience to include: creating positive guest interactions; upholding strict safety protocols; taking an active role in exhibit cleanliness and record keeping; and participating in all other duties as assigned
* Performing educational shows in front of large audiences over a microphone
* Work with Aquarists and Senior Aquarists to learn aquarium department responsibilities and form a cohesive and efficient team environment
* Develop a clear understanding on maintaining healthy fish and invertebrate species and visually appealing displays in key areas including the park’s sixteen jewel exhibits, coral reef habitat, stingray touch pool, quarantine and holding facilities, and shark channel.
* Participate in daily food preparation and animal husbandry as well as actively learn disease prevention and treatment
* Perform daily maintenance on aquarium filtration and exhibits to include all aspects of cleaning, “back of house” upkeep, and assisting in aquarium repairs where needed
*Assist Aquarists and Curators in animal acquisitions, transports, and collections when needed
* Age 18 or older with a minimum of an Associates’ Degree in Biology, Marine Science, or related field and/or equivalent documented work experience at a reputable aquatics facility
* Clearly speak, write and understand English
* Possess the ability to communicate effectively - both oral and written - and the desire to strive for an optimal work environment through teamwork and dedication
* Open Water SCUBA certification with certificate and verifiable dives (Rescue Diver certification is a plus and First Aid/CPR certification is preferred)
* Ability to work a variable schedule including weekends, holidays and some evenings when called upon
* Computer and administrative skills as related to daily work duties
* Possess the physical ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs, and be able to work in extreme climates including rain and intense heat
Compensation: $9.00 per hour with benefits
To apply, candidates should go to www.miamiseaquarium.com to the job opportunity section, download and fill out an application. Please submit the application along with a cover letter, resume and references in Word or PDF format to Jodi Tuzinski – Animal Care Manager - via email: email@example.com or fax to (305)361-6077. Individuals meeting the requirements for these openings will be contacted directly for an interview. Miami Seaquarium is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free workplace.