Organization: Nashville Zoo
Location: Nashville, TN, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
Nashville Zoo is seeking an intern with an intense interest in herpetology and ichthyology to help support the zoo’s mission. This opportunity is available Summer 2013 (May-September) each day of the week 7:30 am–3:30 pm
What we offer
Unfortunately, we cannot offer a stipend or housing, but we do offer the following benefits:
• The chance to develop your hands on experience in a professional setting at an AZA accredited zoo.
• A progressive management style that allows interns to take on a great deal of responsibility and provides a supportive, stimulating and fun workplace.
• Letters of reference for future job opportunities.
• A chance to help the zoo promote conservation awareness.
Duties and responsibilities:
Duties include helping the Keeper during the opening/closing of the animal areas, wash dishes, and assist the Keeper in maintaining the landscape in and around the exhibit areas. Assist the Keeper in creating and/or researching animal enrichment and other tasks within the Keepers duties. Must be willing to study and learn facts provided by the Zoo to provide interaction with the public during Zoo operating hours.
* Applicants must be able to lift 30 lbs. repeatedly and work in all types of weather conditions. Proof of a negative TB test within the last 12 months is required.
* Interns must be currently enrolled in an academic institution pursuing a degree in applicable collegiate concentrations including zoology, wildlife management, biology, and other related field.
* Summer 2013 session Animal Management internships are available Level One only. Level One open to students currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate programs only.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to strict animal husbandry guidelines and safety issues, there is no animal contact or inside exhibit work with the animals in the Zoo. Remember, this is for their safety and well-being as well as yours.
Applicants must submit all requested materials as one packet with completed application, resume, cover letter, and two letters of reference. More information and application available at www.nashvillezoo.org Packets are due March 1, 2013
Mail application packets to:
Nashville Zoo at Grassmere
Attn: Volunteer Programs Manager
3777 Nolensville Pike
Nashville, TN 37211
Email applications to:
Amy Garten, Volunteer Programs Manager
Please put "Avian Internship" in the subject of your email, and follow up by phone (615-833-1534 x140) to ensure receipt of your application by March 1, 2013.