Organization: Zoo Atlanta
Location: Atlanta, GA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Zoo Atlanta has an immediate opening for a full-time Keeper II in our Birds and Program Animals Department. This is a hands-on position participating in the daily husbandry and maintenance of Zoo Atlanta’s exhibit bird collection and facilities. Only one position available to be filled by candidate at Keeper level I or II according to experience
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Specific responsibilities include participating in daily husbandry, exhibit maintenance and visitor interaction programs.
• Candidate is expected to maintain the highest level of safety in the work area through implementation of safety protocols and procedures
• Maintain a high performance level of general keeper duties including: excellent animal care, visitor interactions involving scheduled on-ground talks to guests, research facilitation, active participation in animal training programs via operant conditioning.
• Monitor health and behavior of animal collection and communicate changes to supervisors and vet staff. Oversee administration of medications as applicable.
• Provide daily enrichment and maintain accurate computer based records
• Coordinate and supervise activities of interns and volunteers as required.
• This position also requires working effectively as a member of a team and on an individual basis
• Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement and departmental collection plan
• Other miscellaneous duties as assigned
• Salary dependent upon prior animal care experience.
• Minimum of 1yr animal keeping experience, preferably within an AZA institution for Keeper I. Additional experience required for Keeper II Experience working with a variety of birds preferred
• Knowledge of bird handling/restraint including potentially dangerous species preferred
• Experience with operant conditioning and enrichment techniques preferred
• Experience with propagation, incubation, and hand rearing techniques preferred
Special skills and abilities:
• Ability to perform basic exhibit and equipment maintenance is preferred
• Must have good written and oral communication skills and ability to interact with zoo visitors.
• Must have a positive attitude supporting department goals and those of Zoo Atlanta.
• Physical ability to perform strenuous work and lift 50-80 pounds as needed.
• Ability and willingness to work in inclement weather and on weekends/holidays
• Four year degree in biology, psychology, or related field (sufficient relevant experience will be considered in partial fulfillment of education requirement).
• Must obtain and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license
MISC: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provide a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work environment.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to James Ballance, Curator of Birds and Program Animals at email@example.com