Organization: The University of Georgia’s Marine Education Center and Aquarium (EOE)
Location: Savannah, GA, us
Job or Internship: Internship
Training: The University of Georgia's Marine Education Center and Aquarium (MECA) offers annual post-baccalaureate internships in marine education. Interns train and work for 50 weeks at MECA, near Savannah, Georgia. Four interns will be selected for the period of September 4, 2013 - August 15, 2014. Salary is $8.14 per hour. On-site housing is required. Marine Education internships salaries are supported through the Georgia Sea Grant College Program.
Duties: Interns will teach a wide variety of marine-related topics to grades preK-12 students on site at the Marine Education Center. They will also be required to teach on barrier islands, in the salt marsh, and on our research vessels. Teaching and related preparatory duties are approximately 75% of the internship. The Center’s aquarium is open on Saturday and each intern will rotate working on Saturdays. Science Camp will round out the internship during the summer. Additional duties include maintaining touch-tank organisms, completion of an educational project, clerical assistance, and misc. duties as assigned.
Qualifications for Applicants:
Please read the following information thoroughly. If you do not meet the following requirements your application will not be considered. Strong applicants will demonstrate to the intern selection committee that she/he has the following qualifications:
- An undergraduate degree in biological science or science education, from an accredited college or university, awarded since May 2012. Degree must be awarded before internship begins on September 3, 2013. Applicants with graduate degrees or previous multiple internships are not eligible for this program.
- Training or experience in marine science courses (e.g. biology, marine biology, marine science, ecology, invertebrate zoology, and ichthyology) is required.
- Some previous experience teaching or working with children/students is required.
- Physical ability to carry out internship duties to include teaching outdoors during hot summers and cold winters and lifting objects up to 50 lbs.
- Fluency in English - bilingual applicants (English/Spanish) are encouraged to apply.
- U.S. citizenship or U.S. work visa. If selected, MECA will provide intent to employ documents for visa application. Background checks are required for University of Georgia employment.
Salary: $8.142/hour (40+ hours/week). On-site housing is required. Meals will be available at no charge when visiting groups are using the Center’s cafeteria.
To Apply: Send a resume, 1 page letter of application, official transcripts and 3 letters of recommendation to the address below. Incomplete, email or faxed applications will not be considered. See website http://marex.uga.edu/aquarium/internPrograms.html for complete application details. All application materials must be received by April 5, 2013
Address: Internship Selection Committee UGA Marine Education Center 30 Ocean Science Circle Savannah GA 31411