Organization: The Chicago Zoological Society
Location: Brookfield, IL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Chicago Zoological Society’s Brookfield Zoo is known throughout the world as a leader in animal welfare and conservation but the institution is also Illinois’ most popular cultural attraction.* Our beautiful park like setting has an amazing 216 acres of meticulously landscaped grounds, the Discovery Center and Pavilions provide indoor and outdoor event facilities, delicious food options at three major restaurants, and over 20 different animal exhibits.
As a Custodian, you will perform a variety of general park cleaning duties and washroom maintenance during park hours. These custodial duties include but are not limited to: Building vestibule clean-up, floor cleaning, stripping and sealing, wall and ceiling cleaning, public restroom cleaning and sanitation, restocking of supplies; minor restroom repairs and maintenance, carpet cleaning and spot removal; and, office cleaning, restaurant cleaning, and the cleaning of all public space in the park. Your focus on safety will be demonstrated as you operate various equipment (such as mops, brooms, vacuum cleaners, scrubbers, carpet cleaning equipment, etc) to assure assigned areas are thoroughly cleaned. You will make use of your good communication skills as you perform a daily inspection of your assigned area and report pertinent information to your supervisor. You will participate constructively in all departmental activities, including but not limited to irregular and emergency assignments and Special Events. Your friendly demeanor and pleasant smile will contribute to creating an extraordinary guest experience as Custodians work in public areas and may interact with guests to provide general information on park schedules and activities. The Custodial department is conservation minded utilizing paper products from recycled stock and using nearly 100% green products!
As Brookfield Zoo is open 365 days a year, the Assistant Custodian position requires flexible availability to work holidays and weekends. For this position, you must be at least 18 years of age. The union hourly wage: $15.48 per hour.
The requirements for this position include:
• High School diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent combination of training and/or experience required.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Reliable, dependable individual, flexible.
• Personable demeanor and customer service orientated.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• One-year previous custodial experience desirable.
• Valid driver’s license required. Illinois residents must possess a valid Illinois license within 90 days of hire. Valid out-of-state license required for out-of-state residents. Valid “D” Driver’s License required.
• Experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a diverse, multicultural audience. Multilingual ability and Spanish fluency a plus.
If interested in being considered for this opportunity, please visit the CZS Career Center to obtain more details about the position and to apply by submitting your profile. Please visit our website at www.czs.org/czs/careers. Please look for requisition 1038. The Chicago Zoological Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer - M/F/V/D - Diversity candidates encouraged to apply and identify themselves.