Organization: Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Job or Internship: Job
This is a maternity leave contract with an anticipated end date of March 28, 2014.
This position assists Veterinarians with all daily routine and non-routine veterinary treatments, sample collection, assistance and maintenance of equipment for surgery, diagnostic imaging, clinical pathology, treatment and diagnostic sampling in all areas of animal care.
Provides specialized skills to help ensure a healthy animal population by:
• Assisting in routine veterinary procedures including anaesthesia, surgery, treatment, diagnostics, and necropsies;
• Participating in research programs including collection, processing and storage of samples;
• Participating in Marine Mammal Rescue Centre program;
• Acting as liaison between veterinarian and animal care staff;
• Assimilating, recording and managing data;
• Maintaining pharmacy and hospital supplies and equipment;
• Providing training and supervision to volunteers and veterinary/AHT students;
• General filing and cleaning as required.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• A Degree or Diploma in Animal Health Technology or equivalent credential, previous experience with zoo, wildlife or aquatic species preferred
• Current registration status with local AHT Association
• Valid Driver’s License required
• Excellent animal handling, husbandry and technical skills
• Above average skills in anaesthesiology
• Excellent computer skills with respect to data entry, graphics programs, Word, Access and Excel. Skills in DOS based programs an asset
• Ability to do literature searches and participate in research projects
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
• Excellent problem solving and time management skills; ability to think quickly under pressure and high stress
• Ability to work efficiently without supervision and in a complex team
• Ability to complete tasks and make sound decisions
• Basic knowledge of endoscopic and ultrasound technology an asset
• Job involves constant attention while working with animals for personal safety and the safety of others.
• Exposure to animal bites, animal pathogens and chemicals
• Requires lifting medical equipment and animals (must be able to lift 30kg)
• Requires ability to gain access to all animal holding areas some of which are difficult to enter and require ladders and walking on slippery surfaces
• Requires working rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays and may be on call 24 hours per day.
How to Apply:
Please visit our website at www.vanaqua.org to apply direct online.