Organization: SeaWorld San Antonio
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Primary Purpose: A technically specialized position serving as a knowledgeable resource for other aviculturists in the fields of avian husbandry, exhibit set-up and maintenance, avian reproduction, care of salvage birds, animal health, and animal and team member safety. All of the above while continuing to maintain the SWSA bird collection and exhibits.
• High School Diploma or equivalent. Bachelor of Science in one of the Biological Sciences preferred.
• A minimum of 1 1/2 years as an Aviculturist level I at SW Parks and Entertainment with excellent performance or 2 years prior experience in Zoological facility; specifically working with birds in a professional capacity.
• Bird training experience preferred.
• Must have basic computer skills; proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Thorough knowledge of all shifts and responsibilities in both areas concerning avian diets, husbandry and health
• Meets CPR, swimming and water rescue requirements to maintain SWSA certification.
• Must have basic math skills.
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language. Experience with public /media presentation skills a plus
• Must have a valid state driver’s license and be able to obtain a SEA driver’s license
• Able to lift and carry 50 lbs. repeatedly
• Must be willing to comply with all SEA grooming guidelines and employment standards.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule to include weekday, weekends, evening, and holidays
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for training staff in all aspects of avian diet, propagation, health and husbandry and delegates appropriate tasks in animal areas.
• Provides constructive feedback to junior employees on their progress regarding all aspects of avian husbandry and health.
• Assists Supervisors with monitoring all aspects of avian propagation including target species in AZA or Government breeding programs.
• Assists Supervisors with upkeep of animal records.
• Responsible for proper capture, restraint and movement of birds within and out of the park.
• Responsible for observations and communication of bird health, as well as giving and monitoring prescribed treatments.
• Responsible for exhibit upkeep and enhancement.
• Trouble shoots and corrects problems involving the mechanics of the exhibits at Polar and Birdhouse to ensure bird and staff safety.
• Represents the bird department in public relations/marketing related activities, education programs, and zoological meetings/trips in a professional manner.
• Ensures proper diet preparation and feeding for all avian species within the collection.
• Acts as a role model and teacher to all junior staff at all times.
• Promotes team work and cooperation within the department.
• Able to work all assigned shifts within the department as needed.
• Continually assists Supervisors with the implementation of new EED's to all species within the collection.
• Assists management with specifically assigned duties and projects as needed.
• Consistently practices safe work habits including, but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment, lifting and reporting of unsafe situations.
Interested applicants visit seaworldjobs.com
Closing Date: Tuesday, February 5th