Organization: Oregon Coast Aquarium
Location: Newport, Oregon, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Oregon Coast Aquarium Education Department’s internship program is designed to provide an individual with a practical learning experience while gaining valuable knowledge related to his/her career goals. The Education Summer Intern assists the Education Specialists and Coordinator with the preparation and facilitation of summer programs including summer camps, daily interpretive programs, and other on- and off-site events. Our internships offer a hands-on opportunity to work with youth and the general public in conservation and environmental education in an aquarium setting and require a minimum commitment of eight weeks.
REPORTS TO: Education Specialists
DATES: Summer 2013, June –August (exact dates are negotiable)
The Education Internship program is designed to provide participants with practical learning experience and knowledge in the field of informal education. In return, the intern makes a significant contribution to the Education Department at the Oregon Coast Aquarium. Intern duties may include the following (may vary based on skill level and departmental needs):
1. Assist the education staff in the supervision and instruction of summer camp participants. Lead camp activities as requested.
2. Assist education staff in the daily and weekly set-up, clean-up, and facilitation of each program.
3. Design and implement classroom projects, activities and games for summer camps.
4. Design and write the curriculum for a one-day camp program with support from the education staff.
5. Present public narrations during feeding times of the seals, sea lions and sea otters.
6. Present added value programs (i.e. story time, crafts, etc.) for the general public during assigned times in the Sea & Me Discovery theater.
7. Assist the education staff in coordinating and presenting special day events on site.
8. Assure that the classroom and other work areas are clean and orderly.
9. Assist in the care of classroom interpretive animals and saltwater tank.
QUALIFICATIONS: Be currently enrolled in a college or university, or have recently graduated. Have a minimum of one year of course work in a major field of study to be applied during the internship (e.g. education, biology, zoology, environmental science, etc.). Experience working with children ages 4-12. Demonstrated enthusiasm for and interest in working with children, Aquarium visitors, and marine animals. A basic knowledge and understanding of computer word processing and PowerPoint. The ability to gain and hold a driver’s license is required. First Aid/CPR certified preferred.
WORK SCHEDULE: 20 to 40 hours a week for a minimum of eight weeks. Interns are expected to work on holidays and weekends.
COMPENSATION:The Education Internship is unpaid. Professional development opportunities will be available. Possible college credit for those able to receive it through their college/university. No housing provided, but we may be able to help you in your housing search.
TO APPLY: Applications are accepted year-round and selections are considered until positions are filled. Generally positions are filled by mid-March. Please send a resume, cover letter, application and at least three references to:
Education Programs Coordinator
Oregon Coast Aquarium
2820 SE Ferry Slip Rd
Newport, OR 97365