Organization: Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
Location: Tacoma, WA, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Education Department’s Zoo to You outreach internship program at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is designed to provide an individual with practical learning experience while gaining valuable knowledge related to his/her career goals. Requests for internship positions are evaluated on experience - professional and/or volunteer, academic achievement, interview success, and position availability.
This internship requires minimum commitment of 20 hours per week, for ten weeks and is only offered during the spring and summer months. Applicants who are available for up to 40 hours a week are highly desirable. This is an unpaid position and while we may be able to help you in your housing search, there is no housing provided. We will do everything possible to accommodate school requirements for those who can earn class credit for internships.
The primary responsibility of this position is to accompany Education staff to off-site formal presentations at schools and community venues. An intern project will also be required of the selected intern. Other duties will also be assigned within the Education Department.
To apply for an internship with the Education Department at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, you must:
1. Be currently enrolled in a college or university, or have recently graduated from a college or university
2. Have a minimum of one year of course work in a major field of study to be applied during the internship (e.g. education, biology, zoology, psychology, etc.)
3. Submit an application (available on the Internship page at www.pdza.org)
4. Submit a cover letter (including your career goals)
5. Submit a resume
6. Submit two letters of recommendation from an advisor or supervisor
7. Participate in a phone or on-site interview
8. Commit to a minimum of 20 hours or up to 40 hours a week for a minimum of 10 weeks
9. May be required to receive certification in CPR/First Aid
Please mail OR email completed application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
Education Specialist, Academic and Community Programs
PDZA Internship Program Coordinator
5400 North Pearl Street
Tacoma, WA 98407
Please note: Incomplete application packets will not be considered. However, letters of recommendation may be sent separately.