Organization: Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
Location: Tacoma, WA, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
This position is designed to provide participants with practical learning experience and knowledge in the field of animal husbandry, exhibit maintenance, animal enrichment, and public interactions. Internship participants will care for and handle a variety of birds including a large collection of budgies in a walk-through aviary, reptiles, and mammals as well as participate in informal presentations interacting with Zoo guests. Additionally, interns will assist with presentations in the Zoo’s Wild Wonders Outdoor Theater, a covered, 350-seat amphitheater that features off-leash and free-flight behaviors.
This internship is an in-depth program requiring a 40 hour per week commitment for 10-12 weeks. Interns must be flexible with their schedule, and have the ability to work weekdays, weekends and holidays. It is an unpaid position and there is no housing provided. Interns are considered volunteers so the zoo does not provide any medical coverage for on or off the job injuries or incidents. We will do everything possible to accommodate school requirements for those who can earn class credit.
To be eligible for this position you must:
1. Be currently enrolled in a college or university, or have recently graduated from a college or university
2. Have a minimum of one year of course work in a major field of study to be applied during the internship (e.g. biology, zoology, animal behavior, psychology, etc.)
3. Be capable of the physical abilities required to work with animals (i.e. lift 50 pounds, etc.)
4. Submit an application. (available on the Internship page at www.pdza.org)
5. Submit a cover letter (including your career goals)
6. Submit a resume
7. Submit two letters of recommendation from an advisor or supervisor
8. Undergo a phone or on site interview
9. Be willing to commit to a minimum of 400 hours (32 –40 hours a week) for at least 10 weeks
Applications for the summer positions must be received or postmarked by March 1st, 2013.
Please mail OR email completed application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
Internship Program Coordinator – Education Department
5400 North Pearl Street
Tacoma, WA 98407
Please note: Incomplete application packets will not be considered. However, letters of recommendation may be sent separately.