Organization: Chicago Zoological Society-Brookfield Zoo
Location: Brookfield, Illinois, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Since the opening of Brookfield Zoo in 1934, the Society has had an international reputation for taking a cutting-edge role in animal care and conservation of the natural world. Among its historical firsts are indoor multispecies exhibits, zoo nutrition residencies, methods for animal husbandry, and medical care that includes successful brain surgery for a gorilla. In building its legacy of animal care and compassion, the Society has launched two new centers: the Center for Conservation Leadership and the Center for the Science of Animal Welfare (CSAW). These innovative learning and research hubs will integrate a wide variety of disciplines, changing the way animal conservation issues are considered and advancing the science of “animal-directed” care around the world.
As one of the top zoos with over 450 species of animals, Seasonal Keepers receive valuable hands-on zookeeping experience while providing high-quality care for the welfare of the collection. You will demonstrate your practical understanding of animal behavior, ability to work with live animals safely, and attention to details while closely observing assigned animals, carefully observing the condition of the assigned area and animal enclosures, and maintaining animal record documentation as assigned. Your friendly demeanor, good interpersonal skills and outstanding communication skills will contribute to creating an extraordinary guest experience as Seasonal Keepers may work in public areas and may interact with guests.
As Brookfield Zoo is open 365 days a year, Seasonal Keeper positions require the ability to work rotating shifts including weekends, holidays and evenings. This position also requires that you must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver’s license. This is a temporary (seasonal) position. The starting wage for this position is $9.95 per hour.
This position is in Children’s Zoo and Hamill Family Play Zoo working with native North American and/or farm animals; public speaking skills and public interaction with guests (children and families) and operant conditioning skills a plus.
The requirements for this position include:
• High school graduate or equivalent required. Bachelor's degree or college coursework in relevant biological field or equivalent combination of training and experience preferred.
• Minimum six months animal care facility, farm, kennel, or equivalent animal experience preferred. Incumbent must possess an understanding of practical principles of animal behavior and ability to work with live animals safely. Knowledge of natural history, zoology, or animal husbandry preferred
• Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
• Good interpersonal and communications skills. Must be able to interact in a courteous and professional manner.
• Must be able to learn and integrate information, knowledge, and direction quickly.
• Must be reliable. Must be capable of dealing with emergencies calmly and efficiently.
• Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language fluently.
• Valid driver’s license required. Illinois residents must possess a valid Illinois license within 90 days of hire. Valid out-of-state license required for out-of-state residents.
• Experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a diverse, multicultural audience. Multilingual ability and Spanish fluency a plus.
If interested in being considered for this opportunity, please visit the CZS Career Center to obtain more details about the position and to apply by submitting your profile. Please visit our website at www.czs.org/czs/careers. Please look for requisition 1027. The Chicago Zoological Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer - M/F/V/D - Diversity candidates encouraged to apply and identify themselves.