Organization: Chicago Zoological Society-Brookfield Zoo
Location: Brookfield, Illinois, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
Chicago Zoological Society, which manages Brookfield Zoo, is currently accepting applications for our College Experiential Learning Opportunities (CELO) program.
Please visit the following site for specific details on applying and contact email@example.com with any other questions you may have: (http://www.czs.org/czs/Educational-Programs/Internships.aspx)
Chicago Zoological Society is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer - M/F/V/D
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply and to identify themselves.
Title Safety Intern
The intern will be responsible for assisting the Safety department with the
development and implementation of safety policies, procedures, as well as
creating and conducting safety audits and training programs for staff.
1. Assists in the creation of specific safety audits dependant on both work
place and work practices in order to conduct effective safety audits
throughout the institution. Creating audits will include working one-onone with zoo personnel in a variety of departments as well as job
shadowing tasks in order to fully comprehend work practices being
conducted. * (40%)
2. Conducts safety audits and inspections in order to identify hazardous
work place and work practices. Auditing includes employee tasks/areas,
guest areas, general park properties and may include
construction/renovation areas. * (30%)
3. Assists in developing safety polices and procedures for use by CZS staff.
Policies and procedures will be based on regulatory requirements, safety
best practices and results of safety audits. (15%)
4. Creates safety training programs based on Safety policies and procedures
for CZS staff under the guidance of the Safety Manager. (5%)
5. Assists the department with the management of the Hazard
Communication program. Responsibilities to include, review of Material
Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), selection of appropriate Personal Protective
Equipment (PPE) for new chemicals used on-site and participation in
hazardous waste disposal coordination/process. May also assist in
revising the existing Hazard Communication program and labeling to
meet the new Global Harmonized standard for 2013. (5%)
6. Participates in accident investigations for both employee and guest
7. Other related duties as assigned. (2%)
• Minimum 1 year of college with 2.5/4.0 overall gpa.
• Spanish fluency a plus, but not required.
• All interns are required to complete either a final project or daily journal
as part of their experience.
This is an intern position which will work closely with the Safety Manager
and the Safety Specialist in order to gain a working understanding of how
Safety practices are an important part of the Society’s core values and are
essential to job activities and how work activities impact the operation of the
institution and its various departments.