Organization: Chicago Zoological Society-Brookfield Zoo
Location: Brookfield, Illinois, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
Chicago Zoological Society, which manages Brookfield Zoo, is currently accepting applications for our College Experiential Learning Opportunities (CELO) program.
Please visit the following site for specific details on applying and contact email@example.com with any other questions you may have: (http://www.czs.org/czs/Educational-Programs/Internships.aspx)
Chicago Zoological Society is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer - M/F/V/D
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply and to identify themselves.
Title Engineering Intern (paid)
This position contributes to the success of the Chicago Zoological Society by efficiently assisting
with repair and construction projects throughout the park that will ensure animal welfare as well
as confirm an extraordinary guest experience through execution of Plant & Facilities engineering
functions, thereby contributing to financial sustainability. The basic function of this position is to
assist Plant & Facilities engineers in their daily tasks.
1. Assist in managing and coordinating various repair projects and new construction
projects. Includes feasibilities, budgets, timelines, estimates, bidding, and quality
2. Use AutoCAD to conduct feasibility designs. (15%)
3. Interpret and organize engineering and architectural drawings (14%).
4. Attend department meetings and assist project and maintenance managers with daily
5. Work with management to determine inspection frequencies for facilities, equipment
and components within the park (3%).
6. Audit spare parts inventory (3%).
7. Time Study various routine preventative maintenance inspections within the park
8. Create a dispatching program and process for the various craftsmen within the Plant
& Facilities group (3%).
9. Implement and follow-up on a web-based work order program (3%).
10. Research historical maintenance information on facilities, equipment, and
components within the park and input information into a database tracking system
11. Other related duties as assigned (3%).
• Minimum two years college at an accredited institution majoring in engineering
(mechanical or civil preferred; electrical or computer considered); construction or
engineering management or similarly related field; related technology program; or other
• Minimum 18 years o age.
• Strong interpersonal communications and organizational skills.
• Strong computer skills, AutoCad, Microsoft Suite, database programs and internet savvy.
• Must be able to follow instructions accurately.
• Valid driver’s license required for Illinois residents within 90 days of hire; valid out-of-state
license required for out-of-state residents.
• Spanish fluency a plus, but not required.
• Responsibility for Society Property: Incumbent is responsible for the care and proper use
of equipment and property.
• Responsibility for Safety of Others: Incumbent is responsible for the safety of visitors,
animals, employees, interns, volunteers, etc. as instructed.
• Other qualifications and characteristics: Must possess ability to adjust quickly to changes.
Must understand how the plant & Facilities department interfaces with Society-wide
operations. Must represent the Society in a professional manner at all times.