Organization: Tulsa Zoo
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Job or Internship: Job
POSITION TITLE: ZOOLOGICAL MANAGER–SEA LION/CARNIVORE
The Tulsa Zoo is currently seeking an experienced manager to provide leadership and support to the Zoo’s sea lion and carnivore sections.
Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university in Biology, Zoology, Animal Science, Environmental Resources, Wildlife Management or a related field. A minimum of five years experience in the care of wildlife or exotic animal collection including two years of supervisory experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies (Experience with training of pinnipeds preferred). Must have a valid drivers’ license and be insurable by the insurance carrier.
Under supervision of the Zoological Curator-Mammals, directs and oversees the activities of designated areas to ensure and promote effective and efficient care of the department's assigned collection. Supervises, coaches, and evaluates departmental personnel. Assists with the acquisition and disposition of specimens, planning and implementing of breeding and research programs, and finances. Develop and present educational programs and exhibits in area of expertise to the public and media.
- Demonstrates great communication and leadership in all areas of area management, staff development, and inter-departmental collaboration.
- Directly manages staff of six Zookeepers in the care of the Zoo’s sea lions, tigers, lions, snow leopards, bears and canids.
- Communicates with the veterinary department to ensure optimal health care, including preventative health program, for the assigned animal collection; assists veterinarians with medical procedures and examinations as necessary.
- Works closely with the Curator of Behavioral Husbandry in the development of and participation in enrichment and operant conditioning programs for animals in assigned collection. Includes evaluation, record keeping and training of subordinates, co-workers and volunteers. Experience with training of pinnipeds preferred.
- Maintains and monitors life support systems including but not limited to water filtration, ozone generators, HVAC and backup generators as needed.
- Open Water SCUBA certification from an accredited dive association (i.e. PADI, NAUI, SSI)
- Will serve as Chair of Dive Control Board for the Zoo.
Starting range $35,000-45,000 commensurate upon experience. (Full time salaried exempt)
To apply, please provide resumé electronically in Word format to Tulsa Zoo Human Resources Director Betty Pirnat – firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Sea Lion/Carnivore Manager” in subject line.
No phone calls please. EOE