Organization: Houston Zoo, Inc.
Location: Houston , Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Houston Zoo is offering an opportunity to participate in an unpaid internship in the Bird Department. This is a unique opportunity to work alongside keepers in one of the largest zoological collections of birds the United States. The Houston Zoo is home to over 220 species of birds, with over 800 individual animals.
Successful candidates will participate in many aspects of bird husbandry including:
• diet preparation
• cleaning of animal exhibits and holding areas
• exhibit maintenance (perching, trimming, propping, etc.)
• observing and recording animal condition, behaviors, and responses
• Positive and educational interaction with zoo guests
• Assist with vet care and treatments
• animal enrichment
• The part-time position requires a commitment of 24-25 hours a week. This can be accomplished in five 5 hour shifts per week or three 8 hours shifts per week. Applicant must be able to work any day of the week, including weekends. Work times are from 7 AM until 4 PM.
• The full-time position requires a commitment of 40 hours a week, which can be accomplished by working five 8 hour days. Applicant must be able to work any day of the week, including weekends. Work times are from 7 AM until 4 PM.
• Interns are required to complete a minimum of 200 hour commitment.
• Attend Continuing Education courses provided by the Houston Zoo.
• Compose an educational presentation at the end of internship.
• Candidates must currently be enrolled in a college institution or a recent graduate (within 6 months of application).
• Coursework in biology or zoology related field is preferred.
• This position requires interns to work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust.
• This position involves considerable physical exertion such as repetitive bending, pushing/pulling/carrying heavy loads, climbing ladders and regular lifting of heavy objects (up to 80 pounds).
• We are currently accepting applications until March 31, 2013. Internships will begin on May 12th and run to August 25th (start and end dates are flexible.)
• To submit an application, please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/volunteering/. Applicant must also submit a resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation.
For further information and inquiries, please contact Nhi Tran at 713-533-6558 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.