Organization: Oregon Coast Aquarium
Location: Newport, OR, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Oregon Coast Aquarium Marketing Department is seeking a Public Relations Coordinator. The Public Relations Coordinator is responsible for promoting a positive public awareness program to enhance the general, trade/industry, and traveling public’s knowledge and support of the Oregon Coast Aquarium. The Public Relations Coordinator will develop and maintain a strong media relations program through the timely writing and dissemination of news releases, articles, personal interviews, photos, slides, etc. with a focus on developing earned media.
GENERAL ACCOUNTABILITES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
1. Develops and maintains a strong media relations program through the timely writing and dissemination of news releases, articles, personal interviews, photos, slides, etc. with a focus on developing earned media.
2. Creates and maintains a library of current articles and a library of photos for dissemination to the press to augment storyline ideas.
3. Cultivates and maintains a database of key local, regional, state, national, and international media contacts.
4. Develops and maintains an on-going speakers’ bureau and brokers requests for interviews and speakers, acting as spokesperson when appropriate.
5. Plans and implements special media events including news conferences, FAM tours, and publicity opportunities like groundbreakings, construction milestones, exhibit previews, etc. to generate editorial for the Aquarium.
6. Develops a public relations/publicity promotion video and press portfolio.
7. Develops a public relations plan and release schedule for current and upcoming exhibits and events.
8. Responsible for copy writing and writing supervision of internal communications pieces such as the newsletter, annual reports, directory listings, etc.
9. Assists with the solicitation of marketing sponsorships when needed.
10. Develops public relations partnerships with local and state organizations to further the Aquarium’s public awareness.
11. Responsible for driving the public’s awareness of Aquarium events and community programs through calendar listings and editorial and public service announcements.
12. Responsible for budgeting and monitoring costs for public relations, news clipping, and video services.
13. Responsible for developing a crisis communication plan in coordination with the Aquarium’s emergency preparedness plan; coordinate and release information during emergencies.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Minimum Required: Graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in journalism, public relations, marketing, or a closely related field. Minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in public affairs. Any acceptable equivalent combination of education, internship and experience which demonstrates the background necessary to perform the functions of the position may substitute for the above.
Incumbent must be proficient in use of personal computer with strong abilities in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite desirable. Excellent communication and writing skills are required. Abilities to handle multiple tasks and to function in team environment are required. Ability to work under limited supervision, both independently and in a team environment is required. Must have the ability to gain and hold an Oregon Driver’s License is required.
Preferred: Master’s degree in journalism, public relations, marketing, business administration or a closely related field and prior relevant management experience with a non-profit organization is desirable.
Please send a resume, cover letter, two writing samples (one press release style, one blog sample) and at least three references to: Marketing Department Oregon Coast Aquarium 2820 SE Ferry Slip Rd Newport, OR 97365. Applications can also be submitted by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION REVIEW BEGINS IMMEDIENTLY. DEADLINE TO ASSURE FULL CONSIDERATION IS 1/30/2013