Organization: The Calgary Zoo
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Job or Internship: Job
The City of Calgary has the following full-time employment opportunity available at the Calgary Zoo:
Zookeeper 1 (Animal Care)
Reference # 201924
Closing Date: 4-FEB-2013
Basic Job Information
Posting Title: Zookeeper 1 (Animal Care)
Business Unit/Section: Civic Partners/Calgary Zoo
Location: 1300 Zoo Road N.E.
Union/Position: CUPE Local 37/Permanent #TBD
Compensation: Zookeeper 1 (Labourer) $25.60 - 26.95 - 28.37 per hour
Hours of Work: This position works a non standard 38 hour work week; which includes evenings, weekends and holidays.
Business Unit Information
The Calgary Zoological Society is committed to excellence in animal stewardship and conservation leadership. Our staff and volunteers are what make us a success in these activities and keep us focused on our commitment to engage visitors in enjoyable and unique experiences, connect our community with nature, and inspire actions which support conservation.
Reporting to the Curator for the area, and receiving direction from the Lead Keeper and other zookeepers, this position is responsible for the general day to day care of specimens, displays and holdings, as well as answering questions from the general public. Primary duties also include:
• Prepare and allocate feed and general day-to-day care of specimens in the section.
• Provide appropriate behavioural enrichment of specimens, clean and repair cages or displays, study and observe specimens for signs of illness or injury.
• Answer questions from the general public, deliver keeper talks and assist with other public interaction.
• Assist in the treatment and care of sick or injured specimens.
• Participate in pest management.
• Complete and maintain a variety of records and reports.
• Identify the need for repairs or replacement of facilities and equipment.
• Observe the collection for signs of illness, indifference or injury and report the problem to appropriate staff (Lead Keeper or Curator).
• Perform related routine animal care and other general duties as assigned.
Working conditions: Work is performed in both outdoor and indoor environments. In addition, the work is physically demanding and may involve heavy lifting.
The successful applicant must possess a High School diploma or equivalency (e.g. GED). In addition, applicant(s) must possess a valid Class 5 Driver's License (or provincial equivalent) with no more than six demerits, no current suspensions or charges pending. The ability to obtain a City of Calgary driver's permit is also required. The successful candidate must meet this position's medical standard including required vaccinations and negative tuberculosis (TB) exposure with regular monitoring. A demonstrated interest in and knowledge of mammals, birds and other animals is required. Past experience in zoos or aquariums will be considered an asset. In addition, post secondary education in animal husbandry or a related field will be viewed as an asset.
Success in this position requires strong customer service skills and ability to use team work skills to effectively work with a diverse team. Applicant(s) must be able and willing to work shifts, weekends and holidays and may be required to work in any animal care area of the zoo.
• Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
• Only education obtained from an accredited institution will be recognized as meeting the minimum qualifications.
• More than one position may be filled from this competition.
• Only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone inquiries please.
The City of Calgary values a diverse workforce
Apply online at www.calgary.ca/careers
OR apply directly through The Calgary Zoo, all applications will be forwarded to The City of Calgary: