Organization: Zoo Boise/ Friends of Zoo Boise
Location: Boise, Idaho, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Education Assistant participates with the Friends of Zoo Boise Education Department team in providing approximately 350,000 zoo visitors with engaging and meaningful educational experiences regarding animals & their habitats. Education Assistant will provide training, guidance, and management for ZooTeen & Zoo Naturalist visitor education volunteers as well as develop and conduct programs for zoo visitors of all ages.
Schedule: Part time, Sunday through Thursday, some evenings and Fridays/Saturdays and some holidays as needed. 20 hrs/week Mid-Sept through mid-May and 35 hrs/week mid-May-Mid September.
• Assist with management of volunteer program, volunteer orientation & training.
• Develop and conduct educational programs for families w/young children, and information visitor experience programs.
• Schedule, develop and conduct on- and off-site programs for school groups.
• Work at Zoo Boise fund-raising special events.
• Assist with the orientation, training, management, evaluation and supervision of Zoo Naturalist and ZooTeen volunteers.
• Managing volunteer schedules and daily visitor experience schedule (Butterflies in Bloom, Wallaby Walkabout, Conservation Cruise, animal encounters, Giraffe Encounter, Bear Encounter, biology & ecology themed demonstrations).
Pay Rate and Benefits
• $13.00 per hour
• Pro-rated health and vacation benefits available.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in education, biological sciences or a related field
• Experience planning and conducting environmental education programs to young children, teens and adults.
• Basic knowledge of developmental learning theories
• Ability to work in a variety of outdoor weather conditions.
• Able to traverse the zoo property and be on one’s feet for a long period of time.
• Animal-handling experience or be willing to be trained to handle and teach about many types of animals, including mammals, birds, reptiles (including snakes), and invertebrates, both aquatic and terrestrial.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Valid Driver’s License, good driving record and reliable transportation.
• U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident.
• Submit to a criminal history background check.
• Submit to a negative TB test which must be negative.
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word Office
• Experience managing volunteers.
• An independent, self-motivated, creative and resourceful individual who enjoys working with diverse groups of people of all ages, abilities and learning styles.
• Able to work in a fast-paced and noisy environment and to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Holds a positive, cheerful, professional and customer-service oriented attitude.
• Communicate and interact in a positive, professional, and team oriented manner with various populations such as: colleagues, volunteers, students, general public and organizational partners.
• A commitment to the conservation goals of Zoo Boise.
To apply, send cover letter, resumé and references by February 15, 2013 to:
Rena Ashton, Education Director
Friends of Zoo Boise
355 Julia Davis Drive
Boise, ID 83702 or email to email@example.com.
No phone calls please.