Organization: Virginia Zoo
Location: Norfolk, Virginia, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Virginia Zoo currently has a vacancy for a full time zoo keeper on our Africa team. This position reports to the lead keeper of the Africa team and will be trained to work all routines in this area. The Africa team works with a variety of species including African elephant, white rhino, Hartmann’s mountain zebra, lion, giraffe, bongo, yellow backed duiker, Grant’s gazelle, Red river hog, ostrich, ground hornbill, crowned crane, fennec fox, meerkat and hyrax. Therefore, prior experience with elephants, large ungulates and carnivores is important for this position.
Daily duties and requirements for zoo keepers include the following:
• Observes animals, checking for medical problems, changes in behavior, feeding habits, and overall well being.
• Feeds animals as specified by curatorial staff in accordance with nutritional and behavioral requirements.
• Treats sick or injured animals with specified medications.
• Cleans, disinfects and maintains animal exhibits, enclosures, food and water dishes, pools and other areas.
• Keeps daily records on each animal (behavioral observations, and exhibit integrity and maintenance, etc).
• Supervises interns when required.
• Conducts animal demonstrations for zoo visitors and writes educational presentations.
• Must be able to handle and assist in the restraint and capture animals.
• Must be able to lift heavy feed and manure receptacles and walk long distances.
• Must have knowledge of behavioral characteristics and handling procedures for assigned animals.
• Must have knowledge of animal restraint apparatus such as ropes, squeeze cages, catch poles, shifts, nets etc.
• Must be able to use tools and operate small equipment.
• Requires normal hearing and seeing capabilities and the ability to stand, bend, lift, stoop, push and pull.
• Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and work in a team environment.
Qualified candidates should have a bachelor degree from an accredited four year college/university program and a minimum of 2 years professional work experience in AZA accredited facilities, with emphasis on prior professional experience with elephants. Completion of the AZA course Principles of Elephant Management 1 is considered highly advantageous. Candidates are expected to have broad foundation of knowledge, skills and experience with the husbandry management and breeding of zoo animals, along with good understanding of behavioral management.
This is a full time non-exempt hourly position; the pay range is from $28,251.00 to $45,161.00 annually ($13.58 - $21.71 hourly) with excellent benefits as an employee of the City of Norfolk. Please see the City of Norfolk Human Resources web site for more details and to apply. Applications will only be accepted via the City of Norfolk website. http://agency.governmentjobs.com/norfolk/default.cfm
Applications will be accepted until January 30th, 2013.