Organization: Reid Park Zoological Society
Location: Tucson, Arizona, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Come join us at the Reid Park Zoological Society!
Reid Park Zoological Society is seeking an Events Director. The Society is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to support, advocate for and enhance the value of Reid Park Zoo through membership, development and special events. The City-owned Reid Park Zoo is the largest attended attraction in Southern Arizona with over 585,000 visitors annually.
Reid Park Zoological Society is an equal opportunity employer and provides employee benefits including health insurance, dental insurance, PTO days, paid holidays and 401(k). This is a FLSA Exempt, Full Time position with an annual salary range from $30,000.00 to $35,000.00 DOE. Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
FLSA Exempt, Full Time
Overview: The Events Director provides quality events and rentals to raise funds to support Reid Park Zoo and reflect a high quality experience for clients and guests in meeting Reid Park Zoological Society’s mission. The Events Director provides expertise, guidance and oversight for events throughout the year including fundraising events and rentals for corporate parties, weddings and other functions. This position is responsible for planning, executing and following up on all aspects of events and rentals and achieving stated income goals for the department.
Reports To: President
• Events Management
Primary staff support to board and volunteer committees as needed to effectively manage and implement numerous events. The events will include annual fundraiser ZOOcson other events throughout the year.
Develop the master plan and timeline for events, strategies for programming, sponsorship, goals, budget and audience development including creation of new events.
Be the point person to manage and coordinate all aspects of the event, including venue logistics, catering, audio/video/lighting, decorations, display and printing of invitations and event programs.
Review and negotiate vendor contracts/services.
Develop and monitor budget for events.
• Zoo Rentals
Ensure that all client inquiries are responded to promptly for sales of Zoo rentals and catering.
Coordinate meetings of clients and events staff, tracking progress and following up on all inquiries. Ensure planning meetings are held and all items are clearly communicated with the client to ensure a quality event.
Working with Catering Manager, ensure that the execution of zoo rentals meet or exceed client expectations.
Develop pricing packages that are competitive and will enable the department to meet revenue goals.
Secure cash and in-kind sponsorships and see that sponsorship commitments are met.
Solicit and track in-kind donations including items for silent and live auctions and donations that benefit the organization.
Create, track and monitor event budget(s) and complete a post-event evaluation and budget report for each event.
Work with volunteers to define the activities of events.
Work with development director to create and process donor and patron thank you letters.
• Administrative Functions
Perform duties in accordance with RPZS policies such as completing expense reports and purchasing or cash handling procedures.
Manage department budget and expenses
Direct and manage employees, interns, consultants and volunteers
Ensure staff workplans are completed and contribute towards organizational goals. Counsel and assist staff in professional growth and development. Conduct timeline performance evaluations.
Provide excellent customer service as a component of all job duties.
• Other Duties as Assigned
Preferred Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
• Minimum 3 years demonstrated success in event planning, execution and project management.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
• College degree or equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
• Proven ability to lead meetings and support committee chairs and board members.
• Demonstrated ability to tactfully handle stressful situations, negotiate and resolve conflicts, maintain confidentiality and to respect and observe organizational protocol.
• Knowledge of auction solicitation and coordination strongly desirable.
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all
levels of RPZS and RPZ staff as well as diverse volunteers, donors, community partners, vendors and others.
• Able to lift up to 35 pounds, able to work outside with exposure to all types of weather conditions.
• Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Excellent time management, organization and independent judgment skills. Proven ability to take responsibility and problem solve in a proactive manner.
• Able to work flexible work schedule including nights and weekends.