Organization: Wonders of Wildlife
Location: Springfield, MO, us
Job or Internship: Job
Department: Life Sciences
Supervisor: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
POSITION PURPOSE: Under the leadership of the Executive Director this position is responsible for the management and direction of the Live Exhibits Department to promote and ensure the effective and efficient care, display, propagation and procurement of the Wonders of Wildlife’s animal and fish collection. Plans and implements programs, manages departmental budget, and participates in site and facility planning.
• Responsible for Wonders of Wildlife’s animal collection plan and policies.
• Develops and manages Live Exhibits departmental budget.
• Oversees the acquisition, husbandry, enrichment and display of the animal / fish collection.
• Maintains sufficient, healthy animal / fish populations for displays as well as for education and outreach programs.
• Oversees the operation and maintenance of life support systems and live exhibit related equipment.
• Responsible for the proper documentation and management of all animal-related records.
• Responsible for adherence to all federal, state and local laws and regulations, and AZA guidelines pertaining to holding, displaying and caring for animals and fish.
• Supervises departmental staff and volunteers including hiring, training, and evaluation.
• Supervises and directs participation in limited research programs, species survival plans and taxon advisory groups in cooperation with professional organizations, other institutions and various conservation partners to further Wonders of Wildlife’s educational and conservation-based mission.
• Participates in public relations activities promoting Wonders of Wildlife, as required.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Knowledge – Requires bachelor’s degree in Biology or other animal-related life science field, graduate degree preferred (Work experience may be accepted as equivalent). Requires a minimum of 10+ years experience with the behavior, appropriate care, feeding and handling of captive animals / fish. Current certification of SCUBA or the ability to acquire certification within six months is required. Requires the ability to plan, direct, and coordinate the care, diet, record maintenance and propagation of a diverse animal collection. A minimum of 8+ years supervisory experience is required. Knowledge of registrar duties is required. Proficiency with Microsoft Office software is required.
Mental – Requires a high degree of concentration and attention to the needs of all captive animals / fish and precise record keeping. Requires the ability to respond quickly and effectively to a multitude of crisis situations involving wild species. Requires a high level of ability to follow and convey written and verbal instructions.
Physical – Requires walking/standing approximately 50% of the time, sitting 20% of the time, forward bending and crouching approximately 15% of the time, lifting up to 50 lbs 10% of the time, and diving the equivalent of two hours weekly. Requires evening and weekend work.
Environmental – Requires capability of performing essential job functions in areas where spaces are small and tight, in underwater environments possessing the presence of dangerous animals and in office environments with climate control and good lighting.
Manual Dexterity –Requires ability to handle live animals / fish, operation of SCUBA diving equipment, and operating computers and other general office equipment.
Audible –Requires the ability to effectively communicate in person by public speaking before various-size groups, and via telephone with management, staff, suppliers and customers.
Visual – Requires the ability to operate office equipment including computers and to read written instructions, technical specifications, and other job-related documentation.
The above description is intended to describe the general content, identify the essential job functions, and set forth the requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of job functions or requirements.
Instructions for sending resumes and references:
Mail: Wonders of Wildlife
ATTN: Human Resources
500 W. Sunshine
Springfield, MO 65807