Organization: The Maymont Foundation
Location: Richmond, VA, us
Job or Internship: Job
The Maymont Foundation in Richmond, Virginia is currently taking applications for: ANIMAL KEEPER
Cares for a wide variety of animal species at the Nature Center, Animal Habitats, and Children’s Farm. Maintains health and appearance of animals, maintains exhibits and support areas, teaches public programs on animal care / management / natural history. Reports to the Manager of Zoology and works closely with the Senior Animal Keeper. Responsibilities:
• Animal Care: Cares for all animals within area of responsibility for appearance as well as health-related issues. Responsible for the care of injured or rehabilitated collection specimens. Responsible for all preventative medical care of animals in the collection (fecal exams, de-worming and vaccinations). Participates in animal behavioral enrichment programs and training programs for domestic and native Virginia animals.
• Habitat Maintenance: maintains exhibit appearance by working independently, as well as with other Maymont staff to include weed trimming and bush hogging. Maintains, troubleshoots and repairs animal facilities and equipment. Participates in exhibit improvement, design and other planning.
• Educates and informs individuals and groups through answering questions, giving behind-the-scenes tours, special programs/events, teaching workshops and classes such as Junior Animal Keeper.
• Helps formulate diets. Prepares and administers diets.
• Provides written and oral reports.
• Researches data to properly understand and maintain the animals within area of responsibility.
• May collect aquatic specimens for display.
• Supervises interns, volunteers, students, docents
• Carries out other duties as assigned. Education/Experience required:
Minimum requirements: Associate degree in Zoo Animal Technology AND one year of professional animal care experience. A Bachelor’s degree in zoology, biology, wildlife management, animal science or related natural science field preferred. Skills/Abilities required:
Knowledge of biological principals and terms. Knowledge of animal husbandry to include disease and parasite control, animal nutrition, animal breeding, animal behavior and animal training. Ability to work effectively with co-workers and Maymont visitors. Ability to follow detailed written or oral instructions. Ability to perform the manual work required including lifting / carrying at least 50 pounds, climbing, crawling and jumping. Ability to work in inclement weather throughout the year. Must be willing to work weekend and holidays if required. Will be required to pass scheduled Basic First Aid and CPR employer-provided training and receive pre-exposure rabies vaccine. Must be knowledgeable about safety precautions and be willing to work with normal hazards associated with an animal care facility (e.g. disinfectant chemicals, potential zoonotic diseases, being wet). Additional skills and abilities preferred: experience in animal restraint and handling, use of operant conditioning techniques, hand and gardening tools, power tools, farm tractor, personal computer, microscope, first aid equipment. Licenses required:
valid driver’s license
This full-time position offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. For more information about Maymont please go to www.maymont.org
The application deadline is December 31, 2012. Please forward cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
EOE and Drug Free Workplace