Organization: Oregon Zoo
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Deadline to apply: Monday, December 31, 2012 @ 5:00pm.
Entry rate: $22.92; 6 months; $24.36; 18 months: $25.90; 30 months: $27.53; 42 months: $29.24/hour.
This is a part-time position; 20 hours/week
Work Week: Friday through Tuesday, 7:00 -11:00 a.m. (some schedule flexibility may be allowable, with prior management approval)
This Senior Keeper position functions as the Dive Safety Officer and has routine operational authority for the Oregon Zoo's Scientific Dive program, including conducting training and certification, approval of dive plans, maintenance of diving records and ensuring compliance with dive manual and all relevant regulations.
Senior Animal Keepers lead, collaborate, guide, and/or perform breeding, conservation, and research projects; lead and participate in the development and implementation of improved plans, protocols, and procedures; oversee and perform emergency service functions; and may perform designated duties of Animal Keepers or supervisory personnel.
Minimum of three years progressive experience at a public aquarium, zoo or similar institution or equivalent combination of education and experience. The Oregon Zoo currently follows scientific dive standards as defined by the American Academy of Underwater sciences (AAUS).
The successful candidate must
- have demonstrated knowledge and experience in aquarium diving operations.
- have a minimum one year experience in a lead capacity, directing all aspects of an established Scientific Diving program.
- be an active underwater instructor from an internationally recognized certifying agency with “scientific diving” certification from an AAUS-recognized dive program.
- have experience maintaining SCUBA equipment and with compressor maintenance tasks.
- have experience with tending dives, training and evaluating scientific diving skills.
Visit www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs for the complete job announcement and a link to our online hiring center. Metro is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.