Organization: Birmingham Zoo, Inc.
Location: Birmingham, AL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Birmingham Zoo has an opening for a Full-time Zoological Manager of our Savannah Area. This Zoological Manager (ZM) works closely with Trails of Africa Curator and is tasked with both supervisory responsibility of a team of keepers and interns, facilities, and care for the assigned animals, including a herd of reticulated giraffe, Grant’s zebra, a variety of African hoofstock, red river hogs and birds. This position will also manage the Kiwanis Giraffe Encounter, as well as other interactions/keeper talks with the public.
• Previous supervisory experience preferred.
• Minimum of five years experience with the husbandry of a variety of exotic ungulates, especially giraffe in a zoo setting.
• Experience with supervising zookeepers/interns, including evaluations, scheduling, mentoring and training new zookeepers, safety audits, and fostering teamwork.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant biological field preferred.
• Excellent oral/written communication skills, interpersonal management skills, and computer skills are necessary.
• Good decision making skills. Should be able to respond to emergencies, take control of the situations, and see them through to closure. Must have the ability to work as a team member and to interact with the visitors in a positive manner.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds and perform strenuous duties in all weather conditions.
• Understanding and appreciation for BZI’s mission.
• Manages/Updates all area safety protocols and SOPs.
• Supervise and train the keeper staff on best practices for all aspects of animal care including, but not limited to, cleaning, feeding, watering, observing, record keeping, and maintaining of exhibits.
• Oversee the implementation of animal training and behavioral enrichment programs, maintaining mixed species exhibits, and animal/visitor interactives (giraffe feeding).
• Manage work assignments and coordinate staffing levels of area personnel.
• Active participation in TAGs and other AZA programs required.
• Available to work all necessary hours including weekends, holidays, special events and evenings as needed.
Birmingham Zoo, Inc. is an EOE and a drug-free work place. Chosen candidate must be able to obtain a valid Alabama State Drivers license within 30 days of hire. To apply, please go to our website at www.birminghamzoo.com and download our employment application. Send completed application with a cover letter, resume, and salary history to: Wes Sims, Trails of Africa Curator, Birmingham Zoo, Inc., 2630 Cahaba Road, Birmingham, AL 35223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.