Organization: SEALIFE Arizona
Location: Tempe, AZ, us
Job or Internship: Job
Web Address: www.visitsealife.com/Arizona
Job Scope: The Curator assists the General Manager and Displays Development Department with the start-up, management, organization and continued development of the displays team at SEA LIFE Arizona at Arizona Mills Mall in Tempe, Arizona to achieve consistently high standards of display presentation and animal husbandry in accordance with all SEA LIFE policies, procedures and protocols. The Curator supervises the on-site Displays Team and assists them with the required routine maintenance of all aquarium displays and husbandry related issues.
• Management and oversight of all husbandry and life support of aquarium systems while ensuring a consistently high standard of animal care and displays presentation throughout all public and behind the scenes areas.
• Oversee daily care of animal exhibits including diet preparation, feeding and general care and maintenance of aquatic exhibits in accordance with established protocols.
• Ensure that correct levels of livestock and key species are maintained in all displays through the development and updating of livestock requests.
• Participate in specimen transports, water quality testing, quarantine, diagnosis and treatment of fish disease.
• Maintain accurate daily records for aquarium systems and exhibit specimens. Interact with guests, management, veterinarians and other individuals as required.
• Supervision of day-to-day activities of all aquarists and divers; directing exhibit maintenance, animal husbandry practices, setting aquarist work schedules, and assisting with department budget planning and spending.
• Assist in the continual development and strategic planning of the displays areas in line with the long term goals of the company.
Education and Experience
• Undergraduate degree in Life Sciences
• Minimum five to seven years experience of aquatic animal care in a professional aquarium environment.
• Minimum three to four years of managerial experience supervising teams and individuals preferably in a professional aquarium environment.
• Advanced open water SCUBA certification
Skills and Knowledge
• Proven knowledge of the maintenance and operation of large life support systems including, but not limited to, sand filters, canister filters, UV sterilizers, protein skimmers, and ozone generators.
• SCUBA diving skills: advanced underwater exhibit maintenance skills, advanced open-water diving and animal collection skills. Aquarium dive program management skills and experience preferred.
• Advanced knowledge and experience working with a wide variety of tropical and temperate marine and freshwater specimens including, but not limited to, sharks, rays, jellies, corals, seahorses, cephalopods, and turtles.
• Advanced knowledge and experience in the quarantine, diagnosis and treatment of fish disease.
• Strong water quality testing and record keeping skills
• Ability to supervise the work of others, with at least two years supervisory experience.
• Proven knowledge and skill in aquarium displays set-up and development is desirable including, but not limited to LSS design and installation, exhibit collection planning, and aquarium theming concepts.
• Proven leadership, communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills
• Ability and willingness to communicate effectively in public forums to aquarium guests is preferred.
• Willingness and ability to adhere to company employee guidelines (i.e. Merlin Entertainments - SEA LIFE policies and guidelines)
• Ability to wok outside normal scheduled hours (i.e. weekend days, holidays, special events, after hour animal emergencies).
• Ability to maintain a clean/organized work environment.
• Ability to work effectively with limited or no supervision, and maintain a work ethic supporting the Aquarium’s mission and goals.
• Ability to obtain and hold a current First Aid and CPR certification.
• Ability to obtain and hold valid Driver’s License.
SEALIFE Arizona is part of Merlin Entertainment EOE/Drug Free Environment.
This Employer participates in E-Verify
To apply, please go to: MerlinCareers.com (https://suite.agile1.com/JBMerlin/public/atsjbjobdetail.aspx?rq=1347) to summit your application JOB ID 1347.
Only online applications submitted through OUR website will be considered.