Organization: The Calgary Zoo / The City of Calgary
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Job or Internship: Job
The City of Calgary has the following on-call position available at The Calgary Zoo
Animal Health Technologist – On Call
Mngr. Land Info. Servs. Div
Mail Drop: 0008
Reference # 201693
Closing Date: 13-DEC-2012
Basic Job Information
Posting Title: Animal Health Technologist On-Call
Business Unit/Section: Civic Partners/The Calgary Zoo
Location: 1625 Center Avenue East
Union/Position: CUPE Local 38/On-Call
Compensation: Pay Grade 10
$32.26 - 35.49 - 37.26 - 39.12 - 41.08 - 43.13 per hour
Hours of Work: This position works on-call hours and will depend on operational needs. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
Business Unit Information
The Calgary Zoological Society is committed to excellence in animal stewardship and conservation leadership. Our staff and volunteers are what make us a success in these activities and keep us focused on our commitment to engage visitors in enjoyable and unique experiences, connect our community with nature, and inspire actions which support conservation.
The Animal Health Technologist (AHT) will work alongside the veterinarians and other animal care staff to provide the highest quality of medical care for our diverse collection of rare and endangered exotic species. The AHT provides assistance for a wide variety of veterinary procedures including anesthesia, radiology, nursing, surgery and pathology. The AHT is responsible for the analysis of laboratory samples and pharmacy management. The position is also responsible for hospital maintenance, quality control and a wide variety of administrative duties. Primary Responsibilities include:
• Prepare medical equipment, supplies, record keeping and support material for field medical procedures.
• Under the supervision the veterinarian, administer anesthetic agents, carry out induction and intubation of the patient, monitor anesthesia and provide post-operation support for the patient.
• Collect, transport, prepare analysis and disposal of a variety of biological specimens.
• Produce diagnostic quality radiographs.
• Prepare and administer prescribed treatments and vaccinations, insert catheters and monitor fluid administration, calculate dosages and dispense prescribed pharmaceuticals accurately.
• Prepare the surgical suite, equipment and the patient for surgical procedures and examinations, and assist veterinarians in surgery.
• Maintain drug and medical supply inventory, stock and maintain field kits.
• Sanitation and servicing of medical equipment; upkeep of the hospital.
• Track all medical records as well as data input and retrieval.
• Administrative duties including reception, placing orders, coding invoices, etc.
The successful applicant must be a certified Animal Health Technologist to be eligible for registration in the Alberta Association of Animal Health Technologists (AAAHT) with a minimum of one year experience in a clinic or laboratory position and two years of experience with exotic animal species.
Candidates must possess strong computer skills, must be able to work well in a team environment, and communicate effectively. Excellent organizational skills and flexibility in completing tasks are essential.
• Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
• Only education obtained from an accredited institution will be recognized as meeting the minimum qualifications.
The City of Calgary values a diverse workforce
Apply online at www.calgary.ca/careers
Or Apply directly to The Calgary Zoo at:
The Calgary Zoological Society
1300 Zoo Road NE
Fax: (403) 695-3807
All applications will be forwarded to the City of Calgary.
PLEASE, NO PHONE INQUIRIES.
Applicants are thanked in
advance and advised that only
individuals selected for
interviews will be contacted.