Organization: Brevard Zoo
Location: Melbourne, FL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Basic Function: Responsible for the daily care of the animals in the areas in which they have been trained and interacting with guests and employees. Must be able to work as an integral part of the zoo team and communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors and guests.
- Performs skilled assignments related to the care and feeding of a variety of animals within the zoo. Plans and organizes daily work routine. Establishes priorities for the completion of work in accordance with sound time-management methodology. Attends meetings, planning sessions and discussions on time.
- Feeds predetermined amounts of food on a regular schedule, and provide clean water.
- Cleans and disinfects animal areas and maintains grounds adjacent to the areas.
- Inspects assigned area(s) of responsibility daily at the beginning and end of the shift. Reports and problems and/or concerns to management.
- Reports animal illness, abnormal behavior and unsafe conditions promptly.
- Interacts with general public by answering questions, conducting guided tours and making public appearances on behalf of the zoo.
- Assists in relocating animals as required.
- Patrols zoo area to enforce park rules and regulations and initiates a quick response if problems arise.
- Generates and reviews Animal Department dailies and operant conditioning/enrichment logs.
- Engages in regular interactions with all the animals including training sessions, feedings, enrichment, public presentations, and play sessions.
- Participates in and initiates complex animal training assignments and assures their consistency.
- Participates in and assists with in-situ conservation programs as time allows.
- Complies with the USDA, OSHA, Environmental Health and Brevard Zoo Safety Policies.
- Contributes to maintaining high morale among all Brevard Zoo employees. Develops and maintains cooperative and courteous relationships with department employees, staffers and managers in other departments, representatives from organizations, customers, and the general public so as to maintain good will toward Brevard’s good image. Tactfully and effectively handle requests, suggestions and complaints from other departments and persons in order to maintain good will within Brevard. Emphasizes the importance of maintaining a positive image within Brevard. Interfaces effectively with higher management, professionals, customers, and the general public.
- Able to work a holidays, weekends and perform tasks in weather typical of Florida.
• Four-year degree in related field
• Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
• Must be able to speak intelligently and diplomatically with the co-workers and the public.
• Must be able to initiate and write accurate reports and manage assigned projects. Must be able to communicate both orally and in writing.
• Excellent interpersonal skills required.
• Possession of a valid State of Florida driver’s license.
• Experience working with large reptiles and birds of prey.
This position is a full-time Brevard Zoo employee with complete medical benefits and vacation package. All individuals must go through a complete background check as well as a drug test before being hired at Brevard Zoo. Individuals are also expected to have a valid Florida driver’s license and be able to lift at least 50 pounds on a daily basis.
The selected candidate will be one who can help advance the mission of Brevard Zoo, which is Wildlife Conservation through Education and Participation.
Closing Date: December 10, 2012
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to Jackie Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 8225 North Wickham Road, Melbourne, FL 32940.
Only qualified applicants will be contacted, thank you for understanding.
Brevard Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer