Organization: Houston Zoo
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Join an enthusiastic team that provides a fun, unique and inspirational experience fostering appreciation, knowledge, and care for the natural world. The Houston Zoo aspires to be recognized by peers, staff, and general public as a leader among conservation efforts, delivering excellence in animal care, entertainment, education, and Guest service.
The Houston Zoo is looking for a Housekeeping Supervisor. This position supervises Housekeeping crews, ensuring that grounds and facilities are clean and orderly. Department is responsible for maintaining the Zoo's beautiful grounds and facilities. The Housekeeping department staff’s duties include trash removal, recycling, and special events setup. Promote excellent environmental services, provide facilities upkeep, and ensure the highest degree of cleanliness.
• Works with staff to oversee staff members in housekeeping, grounds maintenance or janitorial crews
• Supervises, coordinates, and monitors work schedules/assignments of housekeeping crews
• Supervises crews engaged in the daily performance of janitorial maintenance
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Must be professional and patient when dealing with others at all times
• Compiles, prepares and submits required reports
• Comfortable giving and receiving performance feedback from supervisors and Guests
• Inspects quality of work performed by crews and contractors and prepares reports concerning the work
• Interviews and selects employees and conducts performance reviews
• Instruct staff on work procedures and requirements
• Establishes work standards and processes and evaluates results
• Investigates and immediately responds to guest concerns
• Orders and tracks supplies, parts, chemicals and other materials
• Maintains various records and reports to monitor and track work activities
• Responsible for completing all work orders in a timely fashion
• Responsible for making sure all employees are in proper Zoo uniform with name tags on
• Handle all staff complaints in a timely manner
• Works with the special events department to co-coordinate required needs for events
• Works with appropriate Zoo staff to co-coordinate projects and ensure that staff is prepared when projects are on-going in their area
• Must have a positive attitude, good communication skills and be a team player
• Portray a helpful attitude when interacting with our Guests
• Project a professional image at all times
• Ensure the Zoo’s conservation and green practices philosophies are part of every decision
• Perform any other duties as assigned
Staff will be required to work weekends, holidays, some evenings, rotating schedules and beyond scheduled work hours. Staff may also provide crowd control if necessary during peak times.
The Housekeeping Supervisor works alongside two others to oversee approximately 35 staff members in housekeeping, grounds maintenance or janitorial crews.
3 - 5 years of supervisory experience in a janitorial or similar operation are required. Previous experience in a museum, theater, amusement park, hotel or related attraction a plus.
High School diploma or GED is required. Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Bilingual desired. Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and comply with the policy on driving.
The position involves standing for long periods of time. It may also involve considerable physical exertion, such as extensive walking, bending, stooping and regular lifting of heavy objects (up to 80 pounds) on a highly frequent basis and/or assuming awkward positions for long periods of time.
This position requires employees to work outdoors 75% of the time. There are routine exposures to significant levels of heat, cold, moisture and air pollution. The position may involve periodic exposure to chemical substances and physical trauma of a minor nature such as cuts, bruises and minor burns.
This position requires excellent hand/eye co-ordination, the ability to work outdoors for long periods of time and clear speech, with good audio skills.
Heavy public contact is necessary, involving considerable interpersonal skill, extensive interaction with guests, members, donors and the media. A high degree of appreciation of Guest service is necessary. Requires attention to detail and a concern for public comfort through providing a clean and pleasant environment for both Zoo Guests and Staff.