Organization: Cayman Turtle Farm: Island Wildlife Encounter
Location: Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, International
Job or Internship: Job
Are you Enthusiastic, Energetic, Outgoing and ready to be part of a “Caymanian Experience”
Where everyone is apart of an unforgettable journey to the wonders of our unique, indigenous wildlife? If you are, we invite you to submit your applications for the post of:
Veterinarian Position Summary:
Responsible for fulfilling the role of designated veterinarian for Cayman Turtle Farm and for the
company’s support of Cayman Wildlife Rescue, a function of the National Trust, with particular emphasis on aquatic
animal, wildlife, & zoological medicine. Summary of position responsibilities:
• Participate in the daily activities of the medical service of the park, including primary case responsibility and case rounds with park staff and SMU faculty.
• Report to the Park’s Chief Research Officer, and liaise with the Curator of the Terrestrial and Education Exhibits
Unit, and the Lead Aquarist, to establish and maintain protocols for the proper husbandry and care of the animals.
• Work with the Lead Aquarist and CRO to establish and maintain optimal water quality parameters for the health of the fish and guests.
• Assist in determining research priorities and become involved as necessary in any research projects supported by the facility.
• Determine medication regimes, treatment methods, feeding and other protocols as necessary and desirable for optimum animal welfare and husbandry. Administer supplements, medications and treatment protocols. Train other Crew Members in administering medications, treating animals, and feeding protocols.
• Maintain industry standard record keeping. Maintain animal records, animal observations, treatment records, departmental notebooks, and procedural documents. Work with department management and staff to ensure the accuracy, clarity and availability of all documents.
• Plan/participate in research and conservation programs related to the goals of the facility.
• Prepare monthly reports for distribution to all relevant managers.
• Train and update husbandry staff in areas of basic medical care to ensure staff comprehension in cases of care for minor incidents.
• Provide assistance in instruction and supervision of veterinary students.
• Provide emergency care for the animals in the park.
• Conduct frequent observations of animals and report any abnormalities, health or welfare issues, or change of
behaviour to Chief Research Officer (CRO).
• Mentors, coaches and supervises work-experience students and assigned interns.
• A complete job description will be provided to all candidates that have been shortlisted. Essential skills and experience:
• Qualified veterinarian licensed to practice in the Cayman Islands. This will require veterinary licensure in North America or the U.K.
• Minimum 3 years or more related experience of veterinary medicine of exotic species.
• Excellent health and physical condition. Strong swimming skills.
• Good understanding and experience of animal behaviour, husbandry, and welfare, especially reptiles and birds as well as other wildlife.
• Availability and ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed.
• Ability to organize workload and prioritize tasks.
• Ability to develop and motivate a team of volunteers and/or student interns.
• Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences.
Ability to provide and support a vision and direction for the welfare of CTF animals and rescued wildlife(predominantly birds).
• First Aid (to level required by management).
• Basic computer skills.
Cayman Turtle Farm affords an excellent opportunity for people to gain experience in our exciting tourism industry. This facility offers a chance for the right individual to work in one of Cayman’s leading attractions. We are offering a competitive compensation and benefits package, which includes 20 working days of vacation, 50% contribution to health insurance and a pension plan. Remuneration will be commensurate with Qualifications and experience, and will be in the range of CI$58,313 to CI$64,372 per annum.
To express your interest in this role, please submit a curriculum vitae, references, and cover letter by December 15, 2012 to the following address:
The Manager, Human Resources
Cayman Turtle Farm (1983) Limited
P.O. Box 812
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands KY1-1303
Or email: CTFLHR@TURTLE.KY