Organization: Palm Beach Zoo
Location: West Palm Beach, FL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Palm Beach Zoo is seeking an experienced general curator to join our growing staff and lead it to a new level. The zoo’s staff work in a positive, team-oriented environment that supports our mission to promote increased environmental awareness and conservation through excellent animal, veterinary, and management practices coupled with positive visitor experiences.
This position is responsible for management of the animal collection, personnel, facilities and programs of the zoo’s animal care areas and reports directly to the CEO/President. Specific areas of responsibility include:
Personnel Management – direction, oversight, and supervision:
• Curators, Zoological Managers, and Keeper Staff
• Docent Manager and Volunteers with respect to animal handling
Zoo Policies & Animal Programs – enhancement, implementation, and oversight:
• Emergency response team – all protocols, drills, and activities
• Animal husbandry – all collection species
• Animal care training and enrichment
• Collection planning – for all current and planned species, and acquisition and disposition recommendations
• AZA TAG & SSP – participation, organizational relations, and leadership development
• Exhibit maintenance & safety – to ensure compliance with all current AZA standards
• Permitting – at the international, federal, state, and local levels
• Docent education – curriculum development
• Animal and exhibit recordkeeping – for collection species
• Health, safety, and environmental regulation compliance - for all animal department activity
Collaborative Initiatives – in conjunction with other senior managers:
• Guest experience – together with events, docent, education, and concessions department
• Media exposure – to facilitate and improve top of mind awareness
• Exhibit design – from major capital project development to minor enhancements
• Business management – overall success of the zoo’s education, conservation, events, and concession operations
Profit & Loss Accountability:
• Annual Plan and Budget for the animal department
• Monthly reporting and cost control
• Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Zoology, Ecology, Veterinary science, or experience in related field.
• 10+ years of animal management experience with a minimum of 5 years of direct animal management in an accredited institution. Felid TAG experience a plus.
• 8+ years of experience in direct staff supervision.
• Demonstrated experience in sourcing, initiating, and facilitating animal transfers.
• Exceptional problem solving, analytical skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
• Expertise in leading and implementing business change.
• Excellent communication and leadership skills in a team environment.
• Self-starter, skilled at proactively identifying areas for improvement.
• Ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels of the organization, specifically within the Animal Care department.
• Current Driver’s License.
Physical Demands of Position:
• Daily on–grounds mobility, ability to lift 50 pounds, working on weekends and holidays may be required.
The Palm Beach Zoo is an AZA-accredited non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization that offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
If interested, please provide a cover letter, resume with references, and contact information to:
Palm Beach Zoo
1301 Summit Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33405
Thanks in advance for responding to this job posting. Respondents with whom interviews are sought will be contacted.